Solved

domain transfer email confirmation not received

LoveOneDW
Visitor
3 0 0

I went through all the steps and everything worked as it should. It then told me that an email would be sent to my email address (which is correct, and not part of the domain being transferred) in order to verify the transfer. No email has arrived and, yes, I did check my junk email. What do I do now? The Transfers in progress section shows: Awaiting transfer. Why was an email not sent? I see in other similar questions that it seems as though it is not a concern to the techs. I don't want anything to delay this transfer.

Accepted Solution (1)

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 322

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @LoveOneDW!

This is Moira from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for posting, and a very warm welcome to the Community!

It sounds like you are awaiting a third-party domain transfer to Shopify. Is that correct? As you mentioned, it sounds as though the domain is in an "awaiting transfer" state, which is perfectly normal. It can take up to 20 days for the transfer to be completed as mentioned here so if you have only just actioned the request - this is likely why you are still seeing this message in the progress section. When did you initiate the transfer? and have you received any emails at all in regards to the transfer?

If you would like for our support to double-check, it looks like we’ll need to access your account in order to further look into this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic.

If you have any questions please feel free to thread those below.

Cheers!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 6 (6)

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 322

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @LoveOneDW!

This is Moira from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for posting, and a very warm welcome to the Community!

It sounds like you are awaiting a third-party domain transfer to Shopify. Is that correct? As you mentioned, it sounds as though the domain is in an "awaiting transfer" state, which is perfectly normal. It can take up to 20 days for the transfer to be completed as mentioned here so if you have only just actioned the request - this is likely why you are still seeing this message in the progress section. When did you initiate the transfer? and have you received any emails at all in regards to the transfer?

If you would like for our support to double-check, it looks like we’ll need to access your account in order to further look into this issue. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic.

Cheers!

LoveOneDW
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello, thank you for responding. I just want to make sure I put the correct information in for my A Record and CNAME. I have attached a picture of my records at my current registrar.

dns records shopify.jpg

 Please let me know if anything needs to be changed.

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 322

Hi @LoveOneDW,

Thanks for getting back to us and providing the screenshot of your current DNS configuration.

Your A Record and CNAME figures are correct, you just need to make a small change to the Host section. The A Record should have an @ symbol instead of the website URL. The CNAME should have www instead of the website URL. For reference your values should match what is shown below:

• Point the A (@) record to Shopify's IP address, which is 23.227.38.65

• Point the CNAME (www) record to shops.myshopify.com

These DNS configurations are needed if you are pointing a third-party domain to a Shopify store, when you transfer a domain to Shopify, you will be able to manage all of your domain settings directly in your Shopify admin which will save you time and hassle.

You do not need to adjust any records during the process of the domain transfer. When you transfer a domain to Shopify, its “A record” and “CNAME record” are automatically set to Shopify’s default domain records. To clarify, let's break down the domain transfer process so you can ensure you have completed every step:

Step One: Check your domain provider’s transfer policy

Before starting the domain transfer process, you need to check your domain provider’s transfer policy. Searching the keyword ‘transfer domain’ in the domain provider’s help center is the most basic way to find the policy. In case you need it, here are the transfer domain policies of some popular domain providers in the eCommerce world:

Step 2: Prepare your domain for transfer

After being sure about the policy, you have to prepare your current domain to be moved to Shopify by taking 4 below steps:

1) Login to your domain provider account.

2) Make sure that the email associated with your account is alive because you will receive emails to confirm during the transfer process.

3) Unlock the domain that you want to transfer in the settings.

4) Get a transfer authorization code from your provider by clicking Transfer this domain in the settings.

21-07-g1tf5-i2b77

If you have problems when preparing your domain for transfer, you should contact your domain provider for assistance.

Step 3: Transfer domain to Shopify

Now, it’s time to move to the most essential steps:

1) From your Shopify admin, click Online Store > Domain

2) If you are connecting your domain to your Shopify store for the first time, click Connect existing domain > transfer in your domain.

21-07-etcw6-y4ixr

In case you already have a domain connected to your Shopify store, please click Transfer domain.

21-07-gk222-qyjh9

3) Enter the domain name that you want to switch to Shopify, not including www. at the beginning of the domain.

4) Hit Next and then click Verify domain.

5) If the domain is ready to be transferred, you will see Domain Unlocked, click Next. In reverse, you see Domain Locked, you need to go back to step 2 and make sure you have prepared completely your domain for transfer.

6) In the Verification code box, you must enter the authorization code, or EPP code, that your domain provider gave you.

7) Click Next, then click Buy and transfer. Check the email account associated with your domain because you might have an email asking you to confirm these changes.

After you have approved the transfer process, it takes you up to 20 days for the domain transfer to be finished and after that, you will receive an email from Shopify confirming that your domain is successfully transferred.

Note: When you transfer a domain to Shopify, its “A record” and “CNAME record” are set to Shopify’s default domain records. If additional records were presented on your domain before the transfer, then you need to add those in the Domains section of your Shopify admin.

TIP: Choosing a business name and purchasing a custom domain is one of the seven steps in this article on building a brand from scratch. I suggest having a read to see what other areas you could work on! Have you designed a company logo? It’s the face of your business and could potentially be everywhere that your brand exists.

All the best,

LoveOneDW
Visitor
3 0 0

I am trying to transfer this domain to Shopify, not point it to Shopify. Are these records correct for doing that?

When I put the @ symbol into the A record, it shows loveoneapparel.com in that space right after hitting update for the record.  Is this correct? And is it correct for transferring the domain?

mstar
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, I transferred one my domains about 4 days ago and another one today and have still not received the email for either one that it said I need to do a confirmation on before it will transfer my domains. I have checked my spam folders and have not gotten anything. I understand that the transfer can take 7-10 days, but it also says that it will not begin the transfer process until I confirm in my email. Please help!

Moira
Shopify Staff
2040 223 322

Hey @mstar,

Welcome to the Shopify Community! Thanks for letting us know that you haven't received a domain transfer confirmation email.

Before you receive an email from Shopify, you will likely need to receive an email from your previous domain provider - essentially confirming the release of your domain. If that hasn't happened, you will need to speak to your domain provider directly to find out if the domain has definitely been released. You then need to confirm that the email address associated with your account is up to date and doesn't belong to the domain that you want to transfer, you can check this by logging into your third-party domain provider account. If you have not received a confirmation email, it is likely it has been sent to a different email address registered where your domain was originally bought.

Are you able to see the domain listed in your Shopify admin? You can check via your Online Store > Domains section. There should be a notice here letting you know that there is action required. If you are not receiving the email from OpenSRS after having it resent, it will need to have the email on file changed. You can change it yourself in the admin by heading to Online Store > Domains > Shopify-managed domains and then click Manage next to the domain. There will be the option to Edit in the Registrar Information section.

If the steps outline above did not work in your case, I would recommend reaching out directly to our support team so we can authenticate you as the owner and take a look at the domain internally. We can then investigate if there is an issue; it may just be that the email needs to be re-sent. While we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit https://bit.ly/3cJkx8V and log in to your account to create a support request.

TIP: Choosing a business name and purchasing a custom domain is one of the seven steps in this article on building a brand from scratch. I suggest having a read to see what other areas you could work on! Have you thought about designing a logo? It’s the face of your company and could potentially be everywhere that your brand exists.