free email hosting?

Solved
cc2019
Tourist
7 0 1

I would like to be able to email from my actual domain name rather than a forwarding address. Surprised to discover email isn't included with the Shopify hosting package when I bought my domain through them. Bit reluctant to pay again for email hosting, wondered if anyone knew of a free way to achieve this. 

thanks

Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
872 83 116

This is an accepted solution.

Hello, @cc2019.

Elias here with Shopify Support. That’s a great question!

You’re absolutely right, Shopify provides email forwarding with our domains. Email hosting are usually an add-on with third-party domain providers. However, you can get a free business email from Zoho Mail. We have a guide to help you with connecting Zoho or G Suite as well. 

Let me know if this helps! If you have any other questions on email hosting, don’t hesitate to let me know in this thread.

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

RussW
Excursionist
17 1 8

Hi Elias,

Can you advise here please?

We want to transfer our domain to Shopify (been told this will speed loadtime of site) and the question I have is; what will happen to the email addresses on that domain? can we have a domain at Shopify, but the email elsewhere?

The url is www.ruezone.com

thanks

Russ

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
872 83 116

Hey, @RussW.

Thank you for joining the thread! That's a great question!

You're absolutely correct, since we can only host domains, your hosted email doesn't get transferred to Shopify. You can keep the email hosted with your current email provider or with a different provider. It's important to note that, since your domain's DNS will be automatically configured when transferred to Shopify, you can skip adding Shopify's Sender Policy Framework (SPF record). However, you will need to add the MX records for your email provider to the Shopify-managed domain's DNS settings.

To be perfectly honest, your website loaded really fast for me - I'm not sure if transferring your domain to Shopify will have any noticeable impact. Nonetheless, this is more related to the viewer's internet connection/speed.

That being said, I think your website looks amazing! There's a great use of categories and a nice variety of sections used on the homepage. I can't think of any specific feedback, aside from developing a marketing plan. Kudos to you! 

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions on domain transfers or email hosting, don't hesitate to let me know!

RussW
Excursionist
17 1 8

Hi Elias,

Thank yo for getting back to me - most appreciated.

Our present domain host, reg-123, are saying that if we moved the domain to Shopify we would lose all the email.

Thanks for the comments on our site - that has given us a boost in confidence today :)

We'll focus on the marketing and leave the domain as is for the time being.

KIndest Regards

Russ

Chin1
Excursionist
11 0 1

Hey how you doin

So, the answer is definitely yes.

Shopify allows you to

1) forward your shopify received emails (like from customers) to any address of your choosing or (however you cannot send from store domain this way only receive)

2) Allow another 3rd party to host your emails. This means you can send and receive from your store domain,. To do this you will go into your dns settings and follow your 3rd parties instructions, adding mx, cname and txt info.

I have used Protonmail and it works very well, their wizard is easy and understandable for the lay person. Other options available include g-suite and zoho so I'm told

kels866
4 0 0

Hi there,

I hope you are well. Would this also work for HubSpot? I'd like to be able to send and receive emails from my new domain account email outside of Shopify. I am also very new to all of this too so would very much appreciate you help. Thank you and have a great day!

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
872 83 116

Hey, @kels866.

Thank you for joining this thread!

If you've purchased a custom domain on Shopify, you can set up email forwarding for your third-party email hosting service. Though we have integrations with Zoho and G Suite, you can do this for other email hosting services by editing the DNS and adding their MX records to your domain's DNS on Shopify. Since Shopify-purchased domains are set up automatically, you don't need to add Shopify's SPF record. However, if your custom domain was purchased outside of Shopify, then you can change sender email address (located in the General settings) and add Shopify's SPF record to your domain's DNS. The SPF record serves to validate the emails sent from your store, so that your emails don't get flagged as spam or rejected by the recipient's server. 

I'd be happy to discuss this in further details - Can you confirm where your domain is hosted/purchased from? 

0 Likes
kels866
4 0 0
Hi there,

Thank you for your help. Very much appreciated.

I purchased the domain from Spotify. I have also installed the 'hosted
email app and went through the set up however when I test from Newsletter
no email arrives anywhere and also for 'Contact me' it re-directs to my
Gmail (which I had originally set up). Would Zoho be a better option?

I eventually wanted to integrate with HubSpot however would Zoho do the
same? It is easier to integrate? This will be a small store so just need a
simply sep-up and CRM so would appreciate your

Many thanks for your help!

Kelly
0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
872 83 116

Hey, @kels866.

Thanks for following up!

Just to clarify, were you referring to this Hosted Email app from our App Store?

If so, Hosted Email is similar to Zoho or G-Suite, which is a service provider that hosts your emails. The difference is that you and your staff can access the company's inbox directly from your Shopify admin with their app. On the other hand, Zoho and G-Suite is a more traditional approach, where you'll access the emails through the provider's website. However, HubSpot is a marketing service, which is more similar to Mailchimp or Klaviyo. Email marketing and automation are features of marketing services, but they don't host emails. In short, you'll need to integrate both to have your own company email address and to do email marketing. 

Which one is the better option? This may be somewhat subjective, as some folks may prefer the convenience that Hosted Email offers and accessing their emails from the admin. I've also found their contact page, in the event you need to reach out to developer - Hosted Mail: Contact Us. That being said, Zoho does give one free email with options to purchase more if needed, so this is a great option if you're only looking to get one company email.   

I understand you've set up Hosted Email and tested the newsletter and contact form, but the emails aren't arriving at your inbox or they're going to your original email (Gmail). Typically, themes will use the Sender email address in your General settings to relay messages from the newsletter and contact form. Since the email from the contact form was received in your Gmail, it's likely that you haven't updated the email address from when you first set up the store. As for the newsletter, the sign-up confirmation email is sent if you enable the double opt-in for subscribers in your Notifications settings.  

Here's the Sender email in the General settings:

Here's the double opt-in feature in the Notifications settings:

Lastly, I found that HubSpot has their own app for integrating with Shopify. This may be an easier option for integrating HubSpot, as their app can work with Zoho or Hosted Email. If you need any further assistance with their app, you can always reach out to the developer through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page. 

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know! 

0 Likes