Can I categorize my Shopify blog on the Brooklyn theme?

Agnese
Excursionist
20 1 0

Hi, 

I have brooklyn theme store and I would like to categorize my blog e.g news, diy, legal and other categories. 

https://ancientchemistry.uk/blogs/news

I have not find online how to do it. Hopefuly someone can help me. 

Thanks 

Replies 16 (16)

Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

Hey, @Agnese!

My name is Lizzy and I’m from the support team at Shopify.

Within the admin there is a built in system for categorizing blogs! You can create different blogs to house your blog posts. These essentially are categories! The default blog is called News, however you can create others. This screenshot shows a quick overview of the blog section in the admin:
22-30-lehj5-tjwby

We also have an entire section of our Help Center all about Blogs! 

Once you have your blogs (categories) set up, you can create links directly to them under Online Store>Navigation. Under your current blog menu option, you could build a drop down menu that lists each category you've made!

How do you use your blog posts to promote sales on your site? Do you share them on social media or any other places to drive traffic to your store?

Feel free to continue our conversation here and share any questions you have on what I've said!

Thank you,
Lizzy

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

aecleland
Visitor
2 0 1

Hello, this post is really helpful thank you - I need to categorise blogs & can see how to do it from this. However, my question is ... from my Blog link on my nav bar / menu, I still want to be able to link to all blogs and, importantly, have a URL/handle that can be used to link to all blogs, rather than a specific category. How would this work? thank you 

Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

Hey @aecleland!

I'm happy to hear that my advice above was helpful! 

A simple solution to set up what you're looking for would be to include all of your blog posts in the same category and call it something like "All". That way you could simply link to that page and all of your blog posts would appear! The URL for that would be - youstoredomain.com/blogs/all.

That would work if you weren't hoping to also use the blogs to separate categories. If you were also hoping to use that feature and have multiple blogs, there isn't currently a built in way to access all blog posts in the store on one page. I can understand how this would be something business might be looking for however, and will make sure to share your question with our development team so that they are aware this is something merchants on Shopify would use! 

I recommend keeping an eye on the Shopify Changelog here to catch all of the tweaks to the platform as we release them.

Thank you,

Lizzy

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

chefkatherine
Tourist
3 0 1

I'm trying to get blog posts to appear in multiple categories. I was told to duplicate the post and use the URL for categories sorting but that is not very clean? The photo is uploaded multiple times, the copy is repeated on the site, too many URLs etc - none of this is good for SEO. Experiences in wordpress but new to shopify and content creating for a client. Need some help! 

The posts are generally recipes so want to tag/categorize by recipe type - salad, plant-based, keto-friendly etc. 

roiswift
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi. You can tag the blog post so it appears in multiple categories. It's in the tags section on the right hand side when you're in the admin of the Shopify blog post. 

chefkatherine
Tourist
3 0 1
I'm trying to create a navigation map by categories so that under the Nav tab "Recipes", I will get a drop down with the category or tags listed which will navigate to a page with all the recipes in that category. (eg Plant-based, salads, appetizers, etc)

I did see how to add tags, but those can't be used in a drop down format for navigation, can they? How would a user reply on tags to sort out only plant-based recipes? 

The designer that built the site said to use the URL to create categories, but that means each recipe appears 3-5 times and just weighs down the site - plus creates duplicate copy which is not SEO friendly and every  image is uploaded over and over. 

I know how to do this in WP but not shopify. Thanks.
Choong_HueApps
Shopify Partner
156 9 15

The best way to categorize blog posts while still keeping them under 1 roof is by using tags (instead of different blogs). This is not perfect and dissimilar to WP's category but it's the best way to work with how Shopify lets you structure blog content.

With a bit coding, you can display a list of keywords which lead to different tags (as categories). If you have more detailed ways to organize the blog posts, you can try setting up dropdown filters using this app called Blog Posts Articles Filter PRO. After realizing many sellers have no way to categorize their blog posts (eg. recipes), I created this app so you can add filters to your blog posts with tags and your customers can easily filter for the blog posts they needed without scrolling through pages of articles that disinterest them.

Blog Articles Filter & Search PRO ➜ Blog Article Tag filters + Blog Article search + Featured Articles for Shopify blog.
jer2345
Visitor
2 0 0

im having the same issue on the website 

http://methyl-life.com/

https://umilly.com/

chefkatherine
Tourist
3 0 1

If you organize the drop down categories under the Blog Tab, can you change the Nav Button from Blog to Recipes. I want the posts to sort recipes by categories, not sort blog posts as shown in that screen shot. 

Ober
Excursionist
26 1 10

I have the following challenges:

@Lizzy when blog posts are assigned to different "Blogs" at least in the Theme Debut when I want to insert a Blogposts Section on the Start/Frontpage I can only select one of the Blogs, which seems unlogical because usually you want all the newest blog posts to show up there. So either I use only one Blog for all posts or I need another Section functionality/element - maybe I will try an App like PageFly Advanced Page Builder in the hope it is supported. I'm new to Shopify so changing Theme now or buying Apps is not planned in the near future 😉 

@chefkatherine I'm also coming from WP so every SEO blog feature there is missed and particularly I also miss assigning blog posts to multiple "Blogs". As of now I do not understand why a shop does need multiple blogs and why a category system like in WP would not work better. With more experience I hope to figure out the best way to combine this shop-focused system with good integrated SEO friendly posting. 

oberwine
Visitor
3 0 0

We have now the Theme Debutify installed. Since also there in the Section Blog you also need to select one Blog (multiples not possible) we have to check if Builder Apps like 

LayoutHub Easy Page Builder or PageFly Advanced Page Builder 

allow to select multiple blogs on the frontpage without coding 🙂 

oberwine
Visitor
3 0 0

LayoutHub Easy Page Builder supports selecting multiple Blogs with "Blog list" element but on the blog page template only one of them is listed/selected and the others can be selected. So a filter to one is still active. 

LayoutHub Editor.png LayoutHub Editor (1).png

unifashionva
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi. I also had this problem. But I solved it by using PageFly and a little bit of coding. 

You can visit at: www.unifashionva.com

I created two different layout of header (a section header2 and include {% elsif %} code in index.liquid) for my blogs and my online stores. Created one page for landing all blogs by PageFly, and other blog pages edited by theme editor.

I don't know if this can help you or not. Hope you can achieve what you want!

oberwine
Visitor
3 0 0

@unifashionva I see you use the theme Streamline. While I do not see Blog Posts on the main page on /pages/all-blogs I see possibility to select one blog and below seemingly a list of blog posts but grouped by blog? 

For Debutify theme I would need a section "all-blogs with posts chronologically from them (mixed together)" for the front/landing page and possibly the same with additionally filter selectors of the single blogs for an /pages/all-blogs page. Since I do not know to code JS/PHP I'm unsure if I'm able to construct this by myself in the Shopfiy script language, changing code sometimes works 😉
Will see if I manage to create something. 

I would love to see a "Snippet" community for Themes/Apps, which for Wordpress helped me a lot. 

SWOP
Tourist
6 0 3

Hi Lizzy,

thank you, your reply is really helpful!

Creating blog categories seems relatively straight forward, but I am concerned with SEO impact.

• Is there any risk for SEO/rankings, as long as I redirect all articles to the new blog?
  • Do you recommend to resubmit my sitemap to google?
  • Wat is the most efficient way to create redirects?
  • Does Shopify automatically create a 301 redirect?
  • Is is also a viable solution to use labels?

Thanks so much,

Lars

vwollen
Visitor
1 0 0

same issue here blog pêche