how to change shopify currency after first sale

halisukabir
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello 

I was testing my payment method and accidentally made a sale not knowing i wont be able to change my currency later

I really need to change it please 

thank you so much 

Reply 1 (1)

Ted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1255 115 137

Hi @halisukabir,

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for posting your query! 

Sure thing! So our staff will need to help you here as you've already made a sale. Before this can be changed, I'll need to let you know of a few things that might occur after you change the currency. 

Reporting

When changing currencies, our reporting doesn't factor in the difference between currencies. So, for example, if you had $500 USD processing, that would show as $500 in reports. Say next day you switch to CAD, the report would still read as $500 for previous processing. There's no clarification between certain currencies if the currency symbol is the same as before and since $1 CAD is not equal to $1 USD, the reports, in theory, will be wrong going forward. You can instead set a “date range” for the data they are reviewing, to exclude any transactions that might have been processed in a different currency before the specific date of the currency switch. 

This would not apply for every currency of course but I'm mentioning this now just in case you're selling in USD or CAD for example, as you didn't mention it in your post. 

Product Pricing

Since the dollar amount between currencies is not the same, a product price’s value could mean something different if the currency is adjusted and impact your margins. Ex - 20 EUR, is not equal to 20 USD. Refunds processed after a currency change will also be affected by the currency change.

Apps

Some apps may have limitations when it comes to changing currency. If you need to know if this will affect any of the apps you have listed on your store, you will need to reach out to the app developer directly for more info.

Making any adjustments to your product pricing means that you'll need to consider the currency difference. You will also want to review your product pages, themes etc for currency information that might need to be adjusted. Note that refunds will be processed in the new currency.

If you would like to go ahead and make this change, please let me know and I can send you an email to help authenticate your account. If you have already contacted our Support and you have received a support ticket number, please share that ticket number with me and I'll look into this further with you. For anyone else reading this, please note that our support is available here 24/7 and are happy to help.

Many thanks,

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog