how to link a domain hosted by shopify to a third party website builder ?

Highlighted
3 0 0

maybe I'm asking the wrong question but I built a website with shopify and i just don't like their website builder so i built a website with another website builder and i would like the domain i recently bought with shopify to link to it. i have the new websites type A IP adress and i tried putting that in the DNS but that didn't work. do i need to do something else first or something different? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 1 1

Where did you purchase the domain name?

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

From Shopify 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
13 1 1

Are you using a static IP address? A dynamic/shared IP could give you problems.

If adding the a record and it isn't working you may need to transfer the domain to another provider like Godaddy or even your new hosting provider.

I suggest if you do move to a provider like Godaddy that you keep your DNS setting with Godaddy. That way if you setup g-suite, a new shopify, or have other services connected to your domain and want to move again it's not as big of a process. Not familiar with Shopify internal DNS so sorry I don't have a better answer. Hope this helps    

there is also propagation time....not sure how long ago you updated the DNS

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

its a new domain. less then 60 days old so i cant transfer it yet. i plan to but in the mean time i just wanted to link the website i built over there to my domain over here. i see a lot of info about how to connect an outside domain to a shopify website but no info how to connect and outside website to a shopify domain. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
533 58 87

Hey, @mkhook. You’re correct! In order to use your Shopify purchased domain, you will need to transfer it over to another domain host, where you can then edit the DNS settings to point to your new platform.

I can see that you mentioned it has been less than 60 days since you purchased it. Once that 60 days have passed, the steps to do so can be found in the Help Doc for Transferring your domain out of Shopify.

I’m sorry to hear that the Shopify platform isn’t going to work for you. Are there particular features or functionalities that you were looking for in a theme?

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes