Why is my credit card being refused on Shopify?

AhmedRayed
Visitor
1 0 0

I hope everyone is fine. I have a problem refusing a credit card when linked with shopify to pay the dues, knowing that the same card was accepted in another store for me. Is there any solution to this problem?

Replies 2 (2)

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hi, @AhmedRayed!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

If you are having difficulties using your credit card to pay your Shopify bill, then it sounds like you may not be using a compatible payment method. Our help doc on payment methods for your Shopify bills outlines the payment methods that we accept.

Our billing system requires either a Visa, Mastercard, or AMEX card type. It must also be a full credit card (virtual credit cards, prepaid credit cards, and most hybrid credit/debit cards are not supported) and capable of accepting recurring charges. 

It's worth noting that some credit/debit cards work in some cases, but they are not supported so may stop working at any time. This is a bank issue to do with the way that credit/debit transactions are processed, rather than an issue with our billing system. If you used a credit/debit card with your other store, then this would explain why you are having issues using it on your new store.

I hope this clears things up, but please feel free to let me know which card type you're trying to use. It would also be useful if you can share any specific error messages you're encountering, as that can help rule out any local issues. 

Looking forward to your response!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Julie
Shopify Staff
1109 106 367

Hey, @AhmedRayed!

I just wanted to follow up and see if you were able to get your billing issue resolved. 

If you're still having troubles adding a payment method, then it would be best to contact our Support team directly via live chat. They'll be able to authenticate your account, access your billing information, and offer some guidance.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog