Solved

settings_schema for collection-list template appear inconsistently

jsweet59
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello!

I'm a theme developer and have added settings for the collection-list template to my settings_schema.json so that they can be set centrally (so if the collection-list template is set as a Page template the merchant doesn't have to repeat all these settings again). All looks/works as expected in Editor > Theme Settings, however, when I access these same settings via Editor > Collection list > Theme Settings (or Editor > Some Page > Theme Settings) the settings are retrieved via the liquid template and displayed in the order they are referenced in this file and the Sidebar Settings (e.g. headers) and sections are not present. 

See demo here (I've added some typos to the input labels to show that these are in fact the same settings getting pulled through):

https://share.getcloudapp.com/E0u9P2br

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place but am yet to find anything in the documentation that explains why or what control I might have over this. 

I can amend the liquid file to effect the order perhaps, but this seems an overly manual process when the data already exists in the settings_schema.json. Even if I did this it wouldn't solve the missing Sidebar Settings and so there'd still be inconsistencies between how these two sets of identical settings are displayed, which could be confusing to a merchant.

Any direction on this greatly appreciated! 

Thanks 

Accepted Solution (1)

tim
Shopify Expert
3258 232 1178

This is an accepted solution.

No, you have no direct control over this, say you can't tell "pull this group of settings for this section".

When in section properties, customizer displays only those settings from theme settings which are actually referenced in current section. So, for example, if your colors are only used in your stylesheet, they would not be shown. 

And yes, you can have indirect control by referencing these values in the order you want and they will be pulled to the sidebar of customizer.

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

tim
Shopify Expert
3258 232 1178

This is an accepted solution.

No, you have no direct control over this, say you can't tell "pull this group of settings for this section".

When in section properties, customizer displays only those settings from theme settings which are actually referenced in current section. So, for example, if your colors are only used in your stylesheet, they would not be shown. 

And yes, you can have indirect control by referencing these values in the order you want and they will be pulled to the sidebar of customizer.

jsweet59
Visitor
2 0 0

Aha! Ok thanks very much. Is this documented somewhere I missed do you know??

tim
Shopify Expert
3258 232 1178

Not sure, sorry.