2 different SKUs for the same product (Chinabrands)

Trailblazer
151 8 31

After I push a product to my store, I get a different SKU than the one shown in the product's page on the Chinabrands app.  The SKU in the Shopify admin is a different SKU than the one CB has showing in their product page.  Is it a problem?  Do I need to change the SKU to the one from the CB product page for each specific product that this is the case for?

0 Likes
Trailblazer
151 8 31

One 'work-around' I found to get SKUs not so messed up on the Shopify end is to copy-paste the supplier's SKU (e.g., from the product page on Oberlo or Chinabrands) into the empty barcode field in the bulk editor or variant panel / page.  Another option I found from the Chinabrands site is SKU mapping.  Certain rules apply to doing this, and they're not too problematic from how it reads.  It basically involves changing a CB SKU by adding a dash and additional characters to the string of letters / numbers.  For instance,

CB SKU for headphones is   11030089

I would change the SKU to:   11030089-1A

This allows me to maintain a relationship or connection to the original SKU, and may make it easier for the CB warehouse staff to get the correct SKU and product.  I don't know how the current system is working if SKUs from Shopify fulfilled orders are sent to the distributor and it's all there is, so there must be a system in place that's effective enough.  But it presents a problem at the Shopify end for updating of inventory if the updates are tied to the SKU.  However it works, SKU mapping is an option to organize and maintain products in addition to what's already in the admin.  Be certain to read the rules for SKU mapping if doing dropshipping through Chinabrands and need to or interested in using it.

0 Likes