Advice From Experienced Drop-shippers - Issues with AliExpress?

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi all,

I've been running an ecommerce business where I ship all the products myself for about the last year. I've had some success, but it's obviously very time consuming and tedious work. 

So, recently, I've opened up a new store and decided to give dropshipping via AliExpress a try.

So far, I have a few personal concerns, and I'm wondering if any experienced dropshippers here on the forums has encountered them--and if so, what steps did they take to remedy?

--

Issues

• Even using e-packet, sometimes it still takes 3+ weeks to deliver products from purchase --> delivery
    • I'm upfront with customers about this, but it just seems like too long to wait, given that so many competitors can deliver in only a few days. 
    • Has anyone else found a way to alleviate this?  Much of this is setting expectations appropriately. But I want to do it in such a way that customers don't think.. "too long, forget it."
    • I also don't want customers who don't read very closely to just purchase, expect it to be delivered in a few days, then get upset when a few weeks pass and the package isn't there yet.
  • The packages I get from AliExpress sometimes look very rough
    • I know this varies by vendor, but some of the packages I'm seeing look very poorly packaged, and really just unprofessional.
    • I'm used to packing product myself, and my first business really went out of its way to make the exterior/interior packaging look beautiful.
    • Have any of you experienced dropshippers encountered angry customers because packaging from AliExpress vendors was sub-par? How did you cope? 
  • Similar to above -- I ship to customers America, and my dropshipped packages have just as much Chinese as English on them
    • It's no secret that goods from China cost much less because of economic differences between the two countries. 
    • And it's my understanding that most dropshippers give the impression that they are shipping from the US, just at lower prices. (At least from competitor sites I've viewed)
    • Has anyone had issues with the fact that once a customer received their package it was very obviously drop-shipped from another country?
    • I don't know whether customers really care about this or not (I personally wouldn't), but I'm asking if anyone with more experience than myself has some idea about this. 

Those are the big concerns I have. Really, I just want address them in the most upfront way possible so that everyone is happy and gets a good deal out of the bargain (my customers, my vendors, and of course, me). 

But I don't want customers to be 'put off' by the fact that I'm dropshipping from China, and that sometimes there's a long latency between order and delivery... then when the package gets there, it looks like it's been through the Battle of the Bulge. 

Any experts on here with sage advice? 

Would love to talk more and swap ideas.

- Tony

1 Like
Highlighted
20 0 0

Im following this post.Thanks Tony for the great questions.I would like to hear what people say about what you point out about aliexpress and dropshipping.To add to this  im sure some buy bulk items from china then ship it themselves or a drop shipping company but that would be time and extra money for shipping?

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I'm pretty new to this myself, just started a gamepad store about a week ago. So far I sold 2 gamepads, and they're on their way to the customers now (Used Oberlo). I made sure they knew it would take about a month to get to them but they didn't seem to mind? It does bother me though.

What I'm hoping is that Aliexpress gives us a way to pay a monthly fee for very cheap DHL shipping or something, for a much quicker delivery. A man can dream.

You sell Guitars, right? Maybe check if there's any Wholesale/Manufacturers around your area that will dropship? I'm currently doing the same.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I'm also in the same boat as the OP...

Most products are made overseas...so, I'm not that concerned, but, the shipping time does concern me...also the quality. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hey guys, I've had a dropshipping business for about 2 years (now closed, I have other projects). So here's my 2 cents.

Shipping : Most of suppliers will use ePacket but this depends on the price/size/weight of the item you are shipping.

For example if you're selling cheap goods (10$ and less) they'll usually ship you goods with China Post (very slow and unreliable, 20-40 days).

If you're selling regular priced goods (10-50$) and average size (clothes, electronic, this kind of stuff) they will ship your goods with ePacket. Now some supplier will say that they only ship with ePacket to USA, that is bullsh**. ePacket ships to USA, Canada, France and UK. They will usually say this because it's a bit more expensive to ship to other countries than USA (nothing crazy, usually an additionnal 2-5$/item). ePacket is normally pretty reliable and fast (5 to 23 days). Usually 7-10 days to USA and 10-18 days to other countries. 

Now if you are shipping expensive/big items (70$ + // bicycles, inflatables, etc) they will usually ship with DHL or TNT. These are pretty fast (3-10 days) but pricey. Also be carefull and ask your supplier to declare a low amount on the shipping infos because your customers could end up paying efty customs fees.

Packaging : You're right, sometimes you receive a package and it looks like utter crap and even if the goods themselves are good you still feel a bit disappointed. Now when you are the seller you don't want this to happen so all you have to do is talk with your supplier about this, 90% if the time they will accept your request for special packaging for additionnal fees, you can also ask them to insert a special letter to your customer inside the package. One important thing, ask them to take out everything relying them to the item (publicity inside the package and stuff like that).

Now for the Chinese writings on the package, again, ask your supplier not to include any publicity of his in/on the package. One thing you cannot do is take out the address of the sender, it has to figure on the package. Anyhow, In over 2000 of customers, I've never had anyone complaining about this. Just make sure you are upfront with them, tell them that your main office is in China and this is from where you ship your goods, re-assure them by saying that the delivery won't be any longer and if ever it was you would fully refund them. 

Hope this helped and didn't confuse you more than you were. 

Cheers and good luck !

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hey guys, I've had a dropshipping business for about 2 years (now closed, I have other projects). So here's my 2 cents.

Shipping : Most of suppliers will use ePacket but this depends on the price/size/weight of the item you are shipping.

For example if you're selling cheap goods (10$ and less) they'll usually ship you goods with China Post (very slow and unreliable, 20-40 days).

If you're selling regular priced goods (10-50$) and average size (clothes, electronic, this kind of stuff) they will ship your goods with ePacket. Now some supplier will say that they only ship with ePacket to USA, that is bullsh**. ePacket ships to USA, Canada, France and UK. They will usually say this because it's a bit more expensive to ship to other countries than USA (nothing crazy, usually an additionnal 2-5$/item). ePacket is normally pretty reliable and fast (5 to 23 days). Usually 7-10 days to USA and 10-18 days to other countries. 

Now if you are shipping expensive/big items (70$ + // bicycles, inflatables, etc) they will usually ship with DHL or TNT. These are pretty fast (3-10 days) but pricey. Also be carefull and ask your supplier to declare a low amount on the shipping infos because your customers could end up paying efty customs fees.

Packaging : You're right, sometimes you receive a package and it looks like utter crap and even if the goods themselves are good you still feel a bit disappointed. Now when you are the seller you don't want this to happen so all you have to do is talk with your supplier about this, 90% if the time they will accept your request for special packaging for additionnal fees, you can also ask them to insert a special letter to your customer inside the package. One important thing, ask them to take out everything relying them to the item (publicity inside the package and stuff like that).

Now for the Chinese writings on the package, again, ask your supplier not to include any publicity of his in/on the package. One thing you cannot do is take out the address of the sender, it has to figure on the package. Anyhow, In over 2000 of customers, I've never had anyone complaining about this. Just make sure you are upfront with them, tell them that your main office is in China and this is from where you ship your goods, re-assure them by saying that the delivery won't be any longer and if ever it was you would fully refund them. 

Cheers and good luck !

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

following

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Hey guys, here's my 2 cents.

Cheers and good luck !

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

Cheers and good luck !

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

(Had to post in 2 separated posts, sorry)

Cheers and good luck !

0 Likes