Automatic order processing.

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi,

My shop is getting ready to go online, I was running some tests, essentially buying myself through my shop. I noticed that the order fullfilment is not entirely automatic: my order is transmitted to Oberlo, but not to Aliexpress. I have to manually order the item for the second time from Oberlo on Aliexpress, using again my credit card, and only then the order is processed. Is there a way to automate this process entirely? Thanks in advance for any advice.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
19 0 3

Hi, Marek! 

Jenn here, a Guru with Shopify! 

Oberlo is an app that allows you to easily import products from AliExpress into your Shopify store and helps you manage your customer orders. When a customer places an order through Shopify, you are paid for the order through the gateway you have setup on Shopify. Once you receive the customer order, you are responsible for placing an order on AliExpress on behalf of your customer (using your own payment method). Oberlo makes this process easy through the use of their Chrome Extension. 

Oberlo has created a great tutorial explaining how this process works. You can read further and watch the video tutorial on This Page.

I hope this helps! If you have any further questions, please feel free to get in touch with our support team, available 24/7: help.shopify.com/questions

Cheers!

Jenn

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Thank you. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 2

Again, not clarified very well! You are actually purchasing these items yourself! Whether on a business account or your own personal bank or credit card account. And while that is considerably cheaper and less risky than buying a huge amount of product and paying the expenses for a warehouse to store it in and ship it from, just pointing that out to newbies right from the get go would have been ever so helpful Otherwise, no it is NOT as cheap and seamless a process as is advertised. You still DO have to have a little bit of credit extended to you beforehand to be able to do this. You still DO bare some slight risk (albeit minimal) in purchasing a product and then getting to keep the proceeds from re-selling it IF AND ONLY IF, the customer does receive the order, and is satisfied with it. Because if they don't get it, then they will expect a refund on their card. If they do get it and are not happy with it and want to return it, YOU are either stuck with it and have already paid for it, or can foot the expense for returning it to the original seller. 

This may be just my opinion but instead of avoiding this fact whole cloth to get people to buy into this endeavor, Shopify would be much better positioned in making these points very clear right from the beginning. I thought, as I'm sure many of us did at first, I would be using the customers own credit card information to order the products. I thought whether I set up automatic order processing or processed the orders manually this would be the case. In that case, all the money I am out if the order is not satisfactory with the customer is the money I made in selling it for a higher price. That is not quite accurate at all. 

It still can work, but just knowing that from the start would have had a huge bearing on the TYPE of items one chooses to sell. Likewise, who one is targeting to sell TO would have been a factor that one would have to consider from a different angle. If the purchases are relatively small, and the customers relatively predictable (in whether or not they're going to want to return something) then it's not a big deal. But if the orders are costly, you could really get yourself into a mess this way. Sincerely. 

2 Likes