CREATE A US SHOPIFY ACCOUNT BEING FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY FOR POD BUSINESS IN US

Highlighted
6 0 0

Hi! I´d like to know if I can create a US SHOPIFY ACCOUNT being from another country. What are the requirements ?

Can I use my individual PAYPAL ACCOUNT to receive payments if so?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 20 45

Hi, @cecibor!

Julie, here from the Shopify Support team.

It's awesome to hear you're interested in starting a print-on-demand business. Print-on-demand is a great way to create your own custom branded products and start selling without needing to purchase any upfront inventory.

Is there a reason why you're needing to create a US Shopify account? Shopify is available to merchants worldwide and allows you to sell to customers internationally; you don't need to be located in the United States to sell your products to US customers. All Shopify accounts are created the same, but the payment gateways you can use are dependent on where your business is located.

Are you able to tell me which country you're located in? PayPal is a payment gateway that's available in quite a few countries and I'd be happy to take a look at whether it's available in your region. You can also search for other payment gateways available in your region here. If you do end up using PayPal to accept payments, you will need to use a Business account instead of a personal one. We have some more information on setting up PayPal on your store, as well as a list of their requirements I recommend checking out here.

As you get started with your print-on-demand business, I recommend checking out our free Shopify Academy course, "Build a Print-on-Demand Empire". In this course, you'll learn all about the print-on-demand business model, as well as how to identify a niche audience, find or create designs for your products, and market your business to generate traffic and sales.

I'd love to hear more about our business plans. What kind of products are you planning on offering? Do you already have some designs ready?

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
6 0 0

Hi Julie!!

Thank you very mucho for your prompt response!!

I´m answering and asking some other things in BOLD.

It's awesome to hear you're interested in starting a print-on-demand business. Print-on-demand is a great way to create your own custom branded products and start selling without needing to purchase any upfront inventory.

THAT´S RIGHT !!! tHAT´S WHY I SELECTED THIS TYPE OF MODEL BUSINESS

Is there a reason why you're needing to create a US Shopify account? Shopify is available to merchants worldwide and allows you to sell to customers internationally; you don't need to be located in the United States to sell your products to US customers. All Shopify accounts are created the same, but the payment gateways you can use are dependent on where your business is located.

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN BUT POD IS NOT DEVELOPED YET IN ARGENTINA ...MY IDEA IS TO CREATE A US SHOPIFY ACCOUNT FOR MY POD BUSINESS AND A LOCAL SHOPIFY ACCOUNT FOR MY LEATHER BAGS BUSINESS

WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THE US SHOPIFY ACCOUNT? I KNOW I WOULD NEED A US OFFICIAL ADDRESS AND WHAT ELSE?? 

Are you able to tell me which country you're located in? PayPal is a payment gateway that's available in quite a few countries and I'd be happy to take a look at whether it's available in your region. You can also search for other payment gateways available in your region here. If you do end up using PayPal to accept payments, you will need to use a Business account instead of a personal one. We have some more information on setting up PayPal on your store, as well as a list of their requirements I recommend checking out here.

I´M LOCATED IN ARGENTINA. FOR WHAT I SAW FROM THE LIST OF PAYMENT GATEWAYS, PAYPAL IS THE ONLY ONE I COULD BE ABLE TO USE.

I SPOKE TO PAYPAL AND THEY TOLD ME THAT I COULD USE MY INDIVIDUAL PAYPAL ACCOUNT... IS IT A SHOPIFY REQUIREMENT TO HAVE A BUSINESS ACCOUNT? I´M ASKING YOU THIS CAUSE I´M A NEWBIE AND DON´T HAVE A BUSINESS ACCOUNT YET THAT I COULD USE. MY IDEA IS TO START USING MY INDIVIDUAL ACCOUNT AND THEN AFTER THE BUSINESS IS WORKING, OPEN A BUSINESS ACCOUNT... IS IT POSSIBLE??

As you get started with your print-on-demand business, I recommend checking out our free Shopify Academy course, "Build a Print-on-Demand Empire". In this course, you'll learn all about the print-on-demand business model, as well as how to identify a niche audience, find or create designs for your products, and market your business to generate traffic and sales.

THANKS A LOT! I REGISTERED YESTERDAY TO THE COURSE

I'd love to hear more about our business plans. What kind of products are you planning on offering? Do you already have some designs ready?

HOW NICE OF YOU!!! I DO NOT HAVE YET BUT I´LL SEND YOU AS SOON AS I HAVE!!!

SOME OTHER ISSUES I´D LIKE TO ASK YOU:

* WHAT ABOUT TAXES?

*DO YOU HAVE ANY SUPPLIER YOU WOULD RECCOMEND FOR POD? I HEARD A LOT ABOUT PRINTFUL FOR ENTREPRENEURS THAT ARE STARTING? WHAT ABOUT PRINT TECH, DO YOU THEM? 

HOPING TO HEARING FROM YOU SOON!

CECILIA

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 20 45

Thanks for the followup, Cecilia!

If you are wanting to start a print-on-demand business, you can most definitely do so while being based in Argentina. Many merchants with print-on-demand businesses are located outside of the US. Most print-on-demand suppliers also ship worldwide, so you shouldn't have any problems when it comes to fulfilling orders in countries outside the US. 

One of our most popular print-on-demand apps, Printful, ships products worldwide from warehouses in California, North Carolina, Mexico, and Europe. Other great print-on-demand apps include Printify and Teelaunch, both of which also have warehouses in several countries around the world, allowing you to sell from anywhere to anywhere. PrintTech is also listed in our App Store, along with a number of other print-on-demand apps you can find here. When comparing apps, it's always a good idea to check out the App Review section on each app page; some apps also have FAQs you can find under the Support section of the app page as well, where you can browse answers to most frequently asked questions and learn a bit more about what each one offers.

As for PayPal, when you set up your Shopify store, Shopify creates a PayPal Express Checkout account for the email address you used when you signed up with Shopify. If you already have a PayPal account with that email address, then you'll receive payments from orders made with PayPal right away. To use PayPal on your Shopify store, your PayPal account needs to be a business account. If you don't have a PayPal Business account with the email address you used to set up your store, then you can add your email address to an existing PayPal account or sign up for a new PayPal Business account with the same email address you used to set up your store.

In regards to taxes, Shopify offers you the ability to charge sales tax to your customers if you choose to. You'll just need to determine whether you are obligated to charge sales taxes to your customers in Argentina. If you're not sure, I suggest consulting with a tax expert. If you do end up needing to charge sales tax, we actually have a guide on setting up taxes outside of the US and Canada I recommend checking out.

I'm excited to hear that you're getting started with our Shopify Academy print-on-demand course. I think you'll find it really useful. If any further questions arise, feel free to reach back out.

1 Like
6 0 0

HI JULIE!!

THANK YOU  for the follow up!!

"If you are wanting to start a print-on-demand business, you can most definitely do so while being based in Argentina. Many merchants with print-on-demand businesses are located outside of the US. Most print-on-demand suppliers also ship worldwide, so you shouldn't have any problems when it comes to fulfilling orders in countries outside the US. "

REGARDING THIS POINT, I DO WANT TO HAVE THE ACCOUNT IN THE US AND MY TARGET WOULD BE  US CITIZENS CAUSE ARGENTINA HAS DEVALUATED AND WE ARE IN A FINANCIAL CRISIS, SO THE PRICES IN DOLLARS ARE TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ANY ARGENTINIAN CITIZEN... THAT IS WAY MY INSISTENCE IN TARGETING ANOTHER MARKET. SO AGAIN ..... APART FROM THE US OFFICIAL ADDRESS IS THERE ANYTING I SHOULD BARE IN MIND?

IF I HAVE A SHOPIFY ACCOUNT IN US AND A SHOPIFY ACCOUNT IN ARGENTINA, SHOULD THEY HAVE DIFFERENT EMAILS OR THEY COULD HAVE THE SAME ONE?

I DID STARTED LISTENING TO ADRIAN MORRISON!!! I´M SURE IT WILL HELP A LOT!!!

tHANKS IN ADVANCE FOR EVERYTHING JULIE!!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 20 45

I'm always happy to help, Cecilia!

If you want to sell products to customers in the United States, there's no need for your business to be physically based there. As long as the payment gateway you choose accepts payments in US currency, you can most definitely sell to US customers and charge US dollars. When selecting one of the payment gateways available in Argentina, I recommend checking to see if they will allow you to charge your customers in US dollars. If you are wanting to register your business in the United States and use a payment gateway like Shopify Payments, for example, you will need to have a US bank account and a US government-issued photo ID.

Based on your situation, my recommendation is to take a look at the different payment gateways available in your region. Mercado Pago is a popular payment gateway available in Argentina. I suggest checking them out and perhaps reaching out to them to see if they will allow you to sell your products in US currency. PayPal Express is also commonly used amongst merchants worldwide, including those in the United States.

As for having two different Shopify accounts, you can most definitely use the same email address for both - there's no problem there! Let me know if you have any further questios.

0 Likes
6 0 0

HI JULIE!!

ME AGAIN!

TRYING TO SORT THINGS OUT!

If you want to sell products to customers in the United States, there's no need for your business to be physically based there. As long as the payment gateway you choose accepts payments in US currency, you can most definitely sell to US customers and charge US dollars. When selecting one of the payment gateways available in Argentina, I recommend checking to see if they will allow you to charge your customers in US dollars. If you are wanting to register your business in the United States and use a payment gateway like Shopify Payments, for example, you will need to have a US bank account and a US government-issued photo ID.

REGARDING THIS POINT, I CAN HAVE MY SHOPIFY ACCOUNT BASED IN ARGENTINA AND MY POD BUSINESS AND CUSTOMERS BEING IN US AS LONG AS THE PAYMENT GATEWAY ACCEPTS US CURRENCY. IN THIS CASE, I ASSUME IT'LL BE PAYPAL SO THAT IT SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM.

OPTION 1

*SHOPIFY ACCOUNT BASED IN US (NEED TO HAVE AN US OFFICIAL ADDRESS)

*PAYMENT GATEWAY : PAYPAL BUSINESS ACCOUNT

OPTION 2

*SHOPIFY ACCOUNT BASED IN ARGETINA (HAVING A POD BUSINESS AND CUSTOMERS IN US)

*PAYMENT GATEWAY : PAYPAL BUSINESS ACCOUNT

WHAT ABOUT TAXES IN THIS TWO CASES?

Hoping to hearing from you soon!

Cecilia

0 Likes
6 0 0

Hi JULIE!!

ANOTHER THING REGARDING PAYPAL.... I READ IT´S BETTER TO HAVE PAYPAL EXPRESS CHECKOUT  RATHER THAN PAYPAL STANDARD ... HOW DO I SET IT UP? DO I HAVE TO DO IT IN MY SHOPIFY STORE OR IN MY BUSINESS PAYPAL ACCOUNT?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 20 45

Hi, Ceclia!

It's great to hear from you again.

In regards to Option 1, you will also need to have an SSN and a US government-issued ID in order to use our in-house gateway, Shopify Payments. In your case, Option 2 will be the best scenario. As for taxes, this is something I would recommend consulting with a tax expert on, just so you can be sure you are abiding by your own local tax laws. We actually have a guide on how to set up taxes if you're located outside of Canada or the United States that you can view here. However, it might be worth checking in with a local tax expert prior to doing so.

As for PayPal Express Checkout, this is a payment gateway that's already enabled when you first set up your Shopify store. This is the most popular PayPal method used by Shopify merchants. By default, the account is created with the same email address you used to set up your store and PayPal will email you after your first sale to complete the setup for your PayPal Business account. However, I recommend setting up the PayPal Business account prior to launching, just so you can be sure that you will receive your payouts right away. You can learn more about how to complete the setup for your PayPal Express Checkout account here

As always, let me know if you have any further questions.

0 Likes
6 0 0

Hi Julie!!!

As always so HELPFUL!!!

Regarding Option 1, I do need to have an SSN and a US government-issued ID in order to use SHopify Payments ... but if I use Paypal as Payment gateway I only need to have an US official address... is that correct?

Thanks for the guide, I´ll look into it!

I´m actually creating the Business Paypal Account now so I do not have any problems when I create my Shopify Store.

Some doubts..... I do have to have every thing ready to launch before I create the shopify store... logo...domain...products design....etc.. is it correct?? or I can create it and just add it to the store as I have it ready... 

Hoping to hearing from you soon!!

Cecilia

0 Likes