Concerns about after sales follow-up for dropshipping & promotions

Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 3

Hi all, I'm just starting to setup my first personal shopify e-store based on dropshipping and there're a couple of concerns which are nagging me particularly on the after sales part:

1/ Purchase/shipment status update emails - I have purchased some products from my dropshipping suppliers to first experience it as a customer myself. Thereafter, I realized I'm receiving many emails after the purchases are confirmed such as payment confirmation, shipment status, etc. I understand when I become the middle person selling those products to my end customers, these emails will be flowing to me instead. How am I going to handle all these status updates for each of my customer? Is there an automated way to do this via email forwarding especially when the sales volume increases?

2/ Returns - So if the customer wishes to return a product due to defects or wrong items, I suppose they will have to send the goods to my personal home address? Then in turn I'll have to return these faulty items to the rightful suppliers in order to demand for the refunds so that I can then process it for my customers? Which is the most efficient way as they can't possibly reach out directly to my suppliers?

On a separate note, how do I add a promotion such as 20%/$XXX off for new customers in my e-store?

I hope I could get these queries clarified before I officially launch hence any advice is well appreciated.

BIG TX in advance!!! =)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 43 79

Hi @carole_t,

Dani here from Shopify. Thanks for writing in!

I definitely understand the worry of having to do all that manual work for your shipping notifications. Luckily, Oberlo is set up to do this work for you! The tracking number information is synced with Oberlo using the Oberlo Chrome Extension. Once the supplier has shipped the product you can sync the order details by selecting Send Details from AliExpress, or Get tracking number within Oberlo. You can learn more about this process, in the Oberlo tutorial here.

Once the order has been shipped with the supplier and the tracking information has been shared with Oberlo. This will trigger Shopify to mark the order as fulfilled and send a shipping confirmation to the customer. This confirmation will include the tracking number information. By default, the tracking number will be displayed as text but you can follow this tutorial to make the tracking number clickable so the customer can easily see where their order is.

If your customer receives defected or incorrect products, you can open a dispute with the supplier within your AliExpress account. It's best to include photo evidence in your disputes, so you may need to ask your customers for photos before they send it back to you.

If your customer changes their mind and decides they want to return a good condition item, you can accept the product on their behalf. If it's in good condition, a lot of merchants will use it for a future order. Take a look at Oberlo's Returns and Refunds help doc for more information on this, as well as a handy webinar.

As for the discounts, you can do this within the admin. You can select either a percentage or a dollar value discount. Once you've set your discount type, you can follow that up with setting the discount to only apply to each customer once. This way each customer can only use it on their first checkout. To share the discount code with your customers you can set up an announcement bar, or a pop up to alert them.

What type of products are you planning to sell in your store? If you haven't already, I'd highly suggest you check out our free Dropshipping 101 course on our Shopify Academy. This course will teach you all the tips and tricks to have a successful dropshipping store!

Let me know if you have any further questions! I'd be happy to continue helping you.

All the best,

Dani

Dani | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 3

Thanks sooooo much for your detailed clarification and help. I'll be checking out the links you've shared and will let you know if I stumble upon further challenges when I reach those steps.

Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 3

Hi Dani, I just added a few more Qs but specifically under the topic "Apps". Just in case you haven't seen it, here you go... TYVM!!!
Would greatly appreciate it if you could help reco which are the good apps for the following purposes:
1/ Product reviews
As my e-store is brand new, obviously it will be a challenge to gain trust from new customers without any existing reviews or rating. As I'll be selling via dropshipping, I'd like to quote some positive reviews from the suppliers on Aliexpress. Which is the most efficient way to go about this?
2/ Favorite list
I see mixed posts about this and not a very clear recommendation. Which is a simple app I can add to allow this function to basically tag fav products (with the heart shape icon) which they can easily add into their carts later?
3/ Pricing analysis
While using Oberlo to add new products, it helps to show the cost, profit, etc. But I realized after I've added on Shopify, it's not as convenient as there's no specific function to analyze the profits if I want to revise the pricing based on the new costs. Or am I missing something?
4/ Shipping options
On Aliexpress, there're shipping options available but they don't appear on my e-store. Is there a way to include these options as well as choosing only specific methods to be featured in the drop-down list?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 43 79

Hello again @carole_t!

I'd love to help you out with some suggestions!

1. Ali Reviews app would likely be the best app for your product reviews. This will be a great addition to your store and will build trust with your customers. Many potential customers won't purchase a product unless they can see that social trust from unbiased customers.

2. Wishlist Plus seems to be the most popular of the Wishlist apps. This app does offer a free plan, and it looks to be quite good for just starting out. The next tier looks to be one that you may want to eventually move up to, including wishlist reminder emails!

3. You can actually set up your Oberlo prices to automatically update as the costs change. Are you currently using the Global Pricing Rules to assign your product prices? If so, your prices will automatically update to reflect the new costs of your product. If you're manually setting your prices, this may not be a great option for you and you would need to disable auto updates.

4. Do you plan to use ePacket as your primary shipping method? If so, typically the cost to ship a product with ePacket ranges from free to a few dollars. In this case, we recommend offering your customers free worldwide shipping and building the cost of the few dollars into your prices. This strategy is great for conversions since customers love to see free shipping. You can even advertise free worldwide shipping on your homepage to draw them in. There's not currently an option to automatically sync the AliExpress shipping options. These shipping options and costs would vary for each supplier, which would result in confusing user experience for your customers.

I hope your store setup has been going well otherwise! As always, feel free to reply here with any further questions.

All the best,

Dani

Highlighted
Excursionist
17 0 3

You're a gem! Tyvm for all your precious advice!!! :)

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
223 43 79

You're welcome! Happy to help!

Dani

0 Likes