Drop Ship

Highlighted
1 0 0
I was curious to know if there are any plans to incorporate Drop Ship capabilities into Shopify. Thanks, Will
0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

i would like to know.. someone please answer this

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2002 0 48

Can you explain what Drop Ship is?

Tobias Lütke - Shopify CEO // http://twitter.com/tobi
0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

drop ship is a service where, for example, i set up one e-cart and let it go online with a list of product, but i dont have those product. once a purchase is made, a distributor will deal with the shipping process, not me.

alibaba.com provide hundreds of company willing to do drop-shipping

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

with this option, we might just select any product we want to sell and focus on, then market the product worldwide while those company will do the dropshipping. what we do is just market the product and increase the company’s sales, and we sell it in market price, while we pay cheaper to the company.

so we dont have to worry about shipping the product or build a factory if sales is high.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2002 0 48

So what do you require from shopify to use this kind of service?

0 Likes
Highlighted
8 0 0

perhaps you can provide a list of product or suppliers with lots of product we can chose, and we do the marketing. once buyers make a purchase, the system will notify the supliers then they will ship the product.

once the buyers recieve the product, money will be deducted from buyers account, and the system will seperate my collection and the supliers collection, then bank-in.

it’s simple by thoughts, so i hope shopify can do something.. through this way, i dont mind paying more than 3% to shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

I am glad someone brought this up. It’s a huge topic on webmasterworld also and combine this with the tax structures and you have a lovely thread.

Drop-ship is a more popular practice now with the cost of fuel and shipping from a single source/warehouse that deals with inventory.

Yahoo! Stores has a nice feature that allows the order to be faxed (or emailed) to the distributor so there is less room for error and I can sip my Corona and use the Treo as a coaster while on vacation.

I agree, this would be worth the 3%.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
42 0 1

It’s not just drop-shippers but also fulfillment centers as well. I have several e-commerce comapnies and with some we drop-ship, and with others we have an inventory that we keep at a fulfillment company. They both work the same though.

And in some cases, you could have different drop-shippers and suppliers for each store. One product might ship directly from the manufacturer and another from the drop shipper.

It would be cool if we could just add a few fields to the “supplier” information to include their contact and email. When an order was approved, we could just click a button to send the order(s) to the suppliers via email.

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2002 0 48

Well one way to accomplish this is to fill in the SKU’s of your drop ship supplier and subscribe to the orders RSS feed. When a new order comes in you can check the skus of the line items and create the required emails automatically.

This should be a fairly straight forward perl or ruby script

0 Likes