Drop shipping for a cause!

Highlighted
14 0 0

Hello users!

I would like some feedback on a idea I am flirting with. 

I am the owner of a veteran owned and operated underwear company, Bulgeez. One of my biggest goals is to give back to the comminity that forged and molded my partner and I. Without the military support circle, I would never be where I am at now nor would Bulgeez be alive.

The problem is, I am recieving little support and business is slow. My current sales are going to my bills and business debt. Afterwhich, as you can imagaine, there are no funds to contribute to a cause. 

I would like to offer drop shippable items to start funding a cause. As you all know, there is little to no overhead when it comes to dropshipping. I could donate all profits to an organization while providing customers with an extensive inventory list and raise brand awareness.

My concerns though deal with brand consistency and product quality. I am a underwear company who hopes to grow into a huge comfort-lounge line. 

I would like to offer coffee mugs, hats, and t- shirts. I just do not know how that quality/shipping will affect my brand name. Additionally, I am concerned with using another company in general. I have a hard enough time with my manufacturer, I do not want another slow medium when it comes to product acquistion. 

Any thoughts or recommendations?

- Johnny 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
423 0 92

Hi, Johnny!

My name is Jade, I am with the Social Care Team at Shopify.

I took a peek at your website and I love your sense of humour! I respect your desire to give back to a cause you believe in through your business. A suggestion that I have is to test the waters first before diving in. You may want to start with one dropshipping product that you feel is worthy of your customers and say something like: "For the month of November (or any amount of time you choose), (portion) of each sale for (product name) will go to (charity name)". 

It's a good idea to have a separate page on your website that customers can click on that gives them more information about that charity along with a video from their YouTube page and a link to the charity website. When that period of time is over, remove the product from your website. Keeping in mind the cost to advertise the product, temporarily dropshipping one product will give you insight into if dropshipping is a good idea for your business, how it works with your current set up, how customers respond to purchasing the product, and if you would like to make any tweaks in the future.

Another option is instead of dropshipping to use your current supplier to make a special print of boxers and a portion of the sales from that one product will go to a cause or charity of your choice. We have an article called Social Entrepreneurship: How to Harness Business to Make the World a Better Place that discusses the topic in more detail.

I hope this helps! 

Jade | Social Care

1 Like
Highlighted
14 0 0

Thank you, Jade. I will consider both of your suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to respond. 

- Johnny 

0 Likes