Dropshipping via Oberlo and Shopify

Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi, I am new to Shopify and are trying to do dropshipping Internationally but I am from South Africa. I have a few questions: 

Is it possible to have a dropshipping store using Oberlo and Shopify that delivers in UK, US and Europe while running it from South Africa?

Also, is shopify payment only available once you have selected a monthly/yearly plan as I don’t see it as an option on the free version. As I would like to use this and PayPal as payment options.

And finally- I have read somewhere that you should have a US bank account in order to receive your part of sales? Can’t this be paid into your personal PayPal account?

Can anyone please assist me?

Thank you. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
505 54 102

Hi @BiavanH,

Hyde here from Shopify.

You have a few questions there, so I'll answer each of them as fully as I can, one by one.

1. Is it possible to have a dropshipping store using Oberlo and Shopify that delivers in the UK, US, and Europe while running it from South Africa?

It's absolutely possible to ship to any country you like. This is because you set the shipping rules yourself. You decide which zones you're shipping to and how much shipping costs.

If you're dropshipping using Oberlo, then the products are coming from suppliers in other countries. Here is How Oberlo Works. If you decide to use Oberlo or an AliExpress app for dropshipping, you will need to download Google’s Chrome Browser to your desktop. You can download this via Google here. You should also add the Chrome Extension for Oberlo to your browser from here.

Have a look at this video which show’s how you can download the Oberlo app and install it to your store. I’ve also included how to add a product via the Oberlo app in the same video.

This video will show you how you can upload a product to your store by AliExpress. AliExpress includes a lot of jibberish that’s not needed for your store. I’d advise deleting the images that are not relevant to your product and as well the variants. You should edit the title, price, description, and variants once uploaded to your store to make it look like your own product. I’ve included this in the video as well just to show you an example.

I’ve made a video here on how to fulfill an order. When you see an order in your admin, you will need to first go to your Oberlo app and order it from the supplier. The video shows you how to do this. Once you fulfill the order, you then need to go back to your Shopify admin and click the ‘fulfilled’ button. This will send a notification to the customer saying that their order is on the way.

Feel free to contact Oberlo via their email address hello@oberlo.com for any more information. They also have some helpful guides as shown here within the app if you would like to have a look at them.

There’s a really great AliExpress guide titled *The Definitive Guide to Dropshipping with Ali Express* here that I’d recommend having a look over. It covers everything you need to know about dropshipping with AliExpress from start to finish. 

In regard to shipping, here’s an informative Shopify Blog called Everything You Need to Know About ePacket Shipping: ePacket Delivery Explained that’s also certainly worth checking out too!

2. Also, is Shopify Payments only available once you have selected a monthly/yearly plan as I don’t see it as an option on the free version?

Shopify Payments is currently not available in South Africa. Not to worry! There are other gateway options listed here:

20-08-85q7t-gpu4d

You will still be able to use Paypal in conjunction with whatever credit card processor you opt for. There's more information on third-party providers and setting them up here.

3. I have read somewhere that you should have a US bank account in order to receive your part of sales? Can’t this be paid into your personal PayPal account?

Whichever credit card processor you choose you will likely be able to attach a credit card or bank account yourself into which your funds from orders are paid out. As a consequence, you don't need a US account. If your customer doesn't pay by credit card on your site but instead goes through Paypal, then the funds will be paid into your Paypal account. There's more on Paypal here.

I hope this all helps, let me know if you have any questions about this!

All the best, Hyde.

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0
Good Day.

Thank you so much.

One last thing: I am planning to use PaPayl for both. My clients paying with PayPal at the checkout as well as me paying the suppliers upon order.

What I want to know: once a client placed an order and made payment via PayPal will these funds be available to me immediately in order to pay my supplier? Or how and when are funds available to me?

Thank you
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
505 54 102

Ok, there's a full guide on how to fulfill orders here. There's a video here:

In essence, you receive payment from the customer in your store and then transfer payment to the supplier when fulfilling the order. Whether or not you can pay by Paypal depends on the supplier.  Usually, they'll accept Paypal, but it tends to cost more in terms of fee) to buy via Paypal instead of using a credit card. 

I hope this helps!

All the best, Hyde. 

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes

Hi @BiavanH 

You can sell anywhere to the world from SA, if you have a PayPal business account.   That is the advantage of dropshipping. 

There is no free version in Shopify, only free trial available for 14 days. 

US Bank account not required. 

Dropshippinghelps.com We Help Shopify Dropshippers
Hit Like If My Reply Helpful
Click Accept as Solution If My Reply Answered Your Question.
0 Likes