For stores that sell physical products that are picked up how do you disable the shipping step?

Solved
3 0 1

In my store, I don't want to have a shipping section because the goods are personally delivered by our team or picked up (we contact each customer to confirm). I see that one way to remove the shipping step is to unselect This is a physical product but that is not technically true. Should I still unselect that option or is there a better way? 

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
138 14 33

Hey, @marlonmisra!

This is a really great question. When creating a new product, you can decide if it's a physical good that requires shipping or not (such as services, digital download, etc), but of course as we can see in your specific scenario, a product doesn't always fit perfectly into either category. 

25-27-aaly9-pagme

The main purpose of this option is to simply inform your checkout if the shipping section should appear or not - very cut and dry. Although you are selling physical products, you don't need your customer's shipping information so in this case, I think it's best practice to de-select this option so that your customers don't have to enter unnecessary shipping information. However, one downfall of not selecting this option is if you're planning on selling your products on Facebook. They have a rule as part of their commerce policy that you cannot sell digital products. If de-selected, Facebook will assume these are digital products and they may be rejected from your business Facebook page. 

Alternatively, we have a number of pick up and delivery apps on our App Store that allows you to customize this part of the checkout process depending on what the customer selects. This option may save you time as it eliminates the extra step of having to contact the customer after the sale has been made. These apps do come at an extra cost but may be worth it if you're looking for a more seamless shopping experience. 

Which option do you think you're leaning towards? Happy to answer any questions you have.

Cheers!

Sunny | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

2 Likes
3 0 1

Thanks @Sunny I think I'll just make all the products digital then. 

How do I mass-edit all products and make them digital? Also, can I import from CSV and make all products digital automatically? 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
138 14 33

You're very welcome and that sounds like a plan to me!

To save some time, you can mass edit all of your products right in the Shopify admin by utilizing the useful bulk editor! To use the bulk editor, simply head over to your Products > Select All > Edit Products (this button will take you to the bulk editor page) > Add fields > Under "Shipping", select the "Requires Shipping" option. From here you can now uncheck all the boxes for the applicable products  and don't forget to click the save button when you're all done! Here is a quick video demonstration using my test store. The bulk editor is such a useful tool if you need to make any other quick changes to pricing, product titles, tags, etc. 

If you prefer, you can definitely use a CSV file to make these changes and those steps can be found on this help doc. When importing the CSV back into your shop, be sure to check the option "Overwrite existing products that have the same handle" to avoid duplicating products.

Let me know if you have any questions or run into issues along the way.

Cheers!

Sunny | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

I have unchecked the box which says "this is a physical product" and I realize that I should have left it checked. now I can not see a way to turn the feature back on without re-creating my products. Is there a way to turn this back on?

0 Likes
1 0 0

@Zac19 If the option is not there, it is because your product has variants. Go into the product, scroll down to the variants, and hit the edit button. There you will find the option, and can hit the arrow button to go to the next variant.

0 Likes