How do you run a dropshipping business in a country you don't live in?

Highlighted
1 0 0

I see the potentional market of the items I want to sell in the USA due to the large and diverse population. I do not want to import things from one country to another. The dropship company is in the US and I want to sell to the US population.

However I happen to live in Australia and am an Australian citizen. How do you go about it?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
537 0 84

Hey, Janelle! 

Savannah here from the Shopify Guru Team. :) 

What you're describing is actually a very popular concept. It's definitely more convenient to ship and sell items to customers in their native country. 

Do you already have supplier in mind? If not, you may want to take a look at our guide to finding a supplier

Considering you'll be marketing to customers in the US, you want want to considering selling in USD rather than AUD. In order to do that, you'll need to meet three requirements: 

• Your business needs to be registered in the US. 
  • You need to have a legitimate address in the US (not a forwarding address).
  • You need a bank account located in that country (Payoneer, or other money transferring services won't work). 

If you aren't able to meet those requirements, you can always use a currency switcher so that prices will display in USD on your site but will be processed in AUD at checkout. 

You'll also want to reach out to a tax professional to discuss things like GST and the requirements of having an overseas supplier. 

Let me know if there's anything I can clarify!

Savannah | Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

I have a similar question. My situation is that I am a US citizen living in Europe that wants to sell mostly in the US, but will ship with Aliexpress worldwide. I have a US bank account and I have a physical address there. I have an EIN number with the IRS, so my business is registered.                    

1. Do I list my US or European address as my store address in my Shopify settings?

2. Since I am not physically located in the US, do I have to register to pay sales tax? I've been reading a lot about it & I'm still confused. I need to know if I need to set up the tax rates in my store. That's the last thing I need to do before I launch my store.

Thank you in advance for your help!

0 Likes