How is Vendor field used for dropshipping?

PeteLauria
Tourist
9 1 4

Trying to get my dropshipping store off the ground and promote through Google Ads.  None of the dropshipping suppliers I have found through AliExpress, WIIO, CJDropshipping, etc provide GTIN, MPN or other barcode identifiers that Google requires. 

1. Is it OK to use the supplier's SKU as the MPN?  I know technically they are different, but in this case they seem to serve the same purpose.  Any reason this would get rejected or not work?
  2. It appears that the Brand field required by Google pulls from the Shopify Vendor field, which is automatically populated when importing products by the source system (AliExpress, CJDropshipping, etc).  Is it necessary for product fulfillment that I leave these as-is or can I change them to the actual supplier or my own store name?  In other words, if I change the Vendor field from "AliExpress" to "My Store Name", would that break the ability for AliExpress to automatically fulfill the order?
Replies 6 (6)

dropship_helps
Shopify Expert
1823 56 280

Hi @PeteLauria 

Do you need GTIN, MPN for Google Shopping Ads? 

PeteLauria
Tourist
9 1 4

Correct.  None of the suppliers provide these.  Merchant Center is labeling all my products "Limited performance due to missing identifiers [gtin, mpn, brand]", and I am hesitant to set up a Google Shopping Ads campaign until all errors and warnings are cleared.  I saw the posts explaining how to use feed rules to set identifier_exists to False, but that seems more geared towards custom or unique products.  Is that still applicable or appropriate for dropshipping manufactured products?  Seems to me that the SKU is functionally equivalent to a Manufacturers Part Number MPN, even though by definition they are different things. 

Can you provide feedback on my two questions, or offer any general guidance? I don't want to do anything that will get my accounts shut down.  Thank you for your help.

Schwider
Tourist
4 0 1

I have the same concerns. The whole "set identifier_exists to False" things does seem to be more geared towards custom or unique products. I'm not sure about dropshipping products, as they aren't really unique or handmade.

Searching for the answer as well. Could anyone us help out?

LuxuryFlooring
Visitor
1 0 0

Did anyone resolve this issue? i am also having these issues with google merchant center.

Anomy
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, I also have this problem! Were you able to solve it? 

springsaga
Visitor
1 0 0

@PeteLauria did you get any solution on this? I am facing the same problem. What had you tried then back in April'21? Please do respond.