I'm confused

Highlighted
1 0 1

Hi, I started a Shopify store 2-3 days ago I have some questions. Please help me if you can.

Ok so I'm from Europe (Romania) and I want to start a dropshipping shop with products mainly from AliExpress.

My first question is: do I need a credit card? I've seen people who could do it with a debit card. Also can I have a prepaid card? First of all I don't have a credit card. And what is the use for the credit card, is it just so that the gateway will have a connection to my bank account? From what I heard I need the card for 3 main reasons: The fee for Shopify (only accepts credit card from what I know), for the connection between the gateway and my bank account (can't i use debit card?) and for the payment to the supplier (but it can also work in other ways from what I know), am I right?

Let's say i make a credit card.

How is the payment process done in more detail?

I live in Romania and let's say I have 2checkout as the gateway. Will i pay transaction taxes for 2checkout and for Shopify as I don't use Shopify payments? I heard that 2checkout pays you weekly. So let's say Bill from US wants to buy a phonecase from me. After checkout his money will be transfered to 2checkout am I right? So will I have to pay the supplier from AliExpress with my own money(or money from my credit card), as I can't take the money from the customer right away from 2checkout (weekly payment), and put them back on the card when 2checkout releases my money? If yes, what if something happens to the money from 2checkout and they freeze or something and I cant take them?

Also Bill will pay in US dollars. So $ will be recieved by 2checkout and when i'm getting paid by 2checkout will the money will be treansfered in my bank account in Romainian currency (RON)?

And about taxes, I really don't understand. From what I heard I have to pay taxes depending on where i'm from and I'm from Romania. How much do I have to pay, to whom and how? Also I want to sell worldwide, and there are some sale taxes from what I heard. Is the customer the one who pays that? If yes, how do I set my store so that it takes taxes depending on the location of the customer?

I'm really sorry if the questions were stupid but I'm new and I'm really into starting this business. If I got something wrong, please tell me! 

Thank you! 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
90 0 15

Hey, Radu! 

Alicia here, from the Shopify Guru team!

Those are all great questions! I'd be happy to clarify some things for you! When it comes to the payments on your Shopify account, there are a few different aspects to consider. The payment to Shopify directly for your plan will be done through a credit card. Then the account that you use to collect payments from your customers will likely need to be a checking account, rather than through a credit card. When it comes to the currency that you accept payments in, it will most often rely on the currency in which your checking account, that is connected to the payment gateway, is set up in. Since each payment gateway does operate differently, I would recommend reaching out to any gateway that you'd like to use, that is available to you. You can see all options that are available to you in Romaina, through Shopify, by clicking here. When using any 3rd party payment gateway you would incur transaction fees through Shopify, along with the credit card rates. You can see more on those fees here.

When you are using a drop shipping integration for your business, chances are that the integration will require you to have a credit card on file with them. As you had mentioned, this would be so that you can purchase the products that your customer has ordered - and then the differences in your cost vs. what your customer paid would be your profit. Because all integrations for drop shipping could operate differently as well, it would be best to also reach out to them directly for more context on that! 

To answer your question about taxes we actually have a great guide that will walk you through how to set that up- you can see that here. Taxes will depend on your location - so in your case, Romania. Tax legislations do vary between countries, so if you're concerned about how to charge them you can definitely reach out to your local tax authority. They will be able to explain any requirements on your end. 

I do hope that this information helps, Radu! Please let me know if you have any further questions at all - I'd be more than happy to help. 

All the best,

Alicia D. | Shopify Guru

support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Hey there,

That was a great question you have asked, let us talk about the financial terms to understand better, In simple terms a debit requires authorization and the money is debited from your checking account, While a credit card is borrowing money from Banks and pay later. The reason why Shopify requesting a credit card is if your payment fails Shopify was forced to hold your store unless the funds are cleared. which is not a good sign as a business owner. And your store will not be available unless the payment is cleared and this happens with a Debit card when a payment is charged from your checking account most banks reject any transaction unless you manually authorize.

I have been in the same place where you are right now but there is a solution, visit your bank and ask for a credit card against a small deposit lets say $100. Most banks will provide you a Credit Card with the deposit limit, Once you scale your business you can make more deposits or request them to increase your credit limit.  

Hope I have answered your questions.

Mo www.ecomtutorial.com
0 Likes