Kickstarter Tips

Highlighted
2 0 1
Hi, I'm about to go live with Kickstarter in the coming weeks and wanted to know if anyone has any tips. Cheers Tony www.momug.net
1 Like
Highlighted
Explorer
105 0 29
Sorry to ask, I'm only new to this... What's Kickstarter?
0 Likes
Excursionist
43 0 8
i thought KickStarter was only for projects? not businesses.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
25 0 2
Kickstarter is a funding platform for creative projects. www.kickstarter.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
105 0 29
Thanks Keith! What an amazing concept! Such a shame it is only open to US residents. I wish they had something like this in Australia, I could offer and do so much with it! Goodluck Anthony! :)
0 Likes
Highlighted
16 0 0

Hi Cyan

I know your last comment is from 8 months ago but if you’re still looking for a funding platform, IndieGoGo, Sponsume, Ulule are other options. I think they’re all open for everyone. I’m about to launch my own campaign on IndieGoGo and I’m based in France.

Hope this helps you (or anyone else!)

Swann

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

I know you guys posted awhile ago but Kickstarter is available in the UK and will be launching in Canada on September 9th. Also if you aren't in one of those areas you get a partner in the US/UK/Canada to open up a payment account for you(Kickstarter isn't actually restricted to other areas its just that you need a payment account associated with that area) if that area for your use.

If you are looking to use crowdfunding to get your product started I highly recommend Kickstarter over other sites. I don't mean to say that sites like indiegogo are bad its just that Kickstarter is the far 'sexier' site and garners much greater attention.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I've never used Kickstarter, I'm not an expert on it, but I've checked out the site many times.  I'd say the best tip would be to focus on selling your story. It should sound and feel like it's coming from the heart.  Make the project seem like an ideal which is worth more than the product itself.  Our world has too many giant corporations that are making the majority of the money out there, and I believe people who browse Kickstarter are generally people who would love to see the underdog succeed against all odds.  If you have trouble making it sound like an ideal, maybe work it into the reward system somehow. A well made promotional video is also key.  If it's well made, it can make any product look like a success before it's even on the market.  Oh and of course use social media for all its worth - post it in Facebook groups that are related to both the product and the ideal.

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Anthony!

I agree with Jay. It seems like a successful Kickstarter campaign will speak more to how relatable it is to the funder, or if there's an emotional connection between yourself and the funder. If it comes across at all "corporate", people will typically be turned off. I'd highly suggest looking through this as inspiration -http://www.kickstarter.com/year/2012. Successful Kickstarter campaigns do happen, and in looking through some previously successful ones, you should begind to see a pattern. If you've got a story that you believe in and sell the story with an emotional connection, there's a better chance at a more successful campaign. I would use as many social media platforms as well to get your message out - a Kickstarter campaign won't be successful on its own - it'll require hard work on your part during the campaign. Try posting your campaign to Facebook, look into gaining a following on Twitter by regular relevant postings, and even think of regular postings to Instagram. Reach out to your friends and family and seek support (or at the very least to spread the word). You can also try posting to sites like Reddit - if it catches on, they've been known to propel a campaign into success. It's not an easy process, but hopefully through multiple avenues you're able to generate a bit of buzz.

Take a look here for even more inspiration: http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/successful#p1

Be sure that promotion isn't your only game though - you're going to want to have an enticing and creative campaign. Make your incentives something out of the ordinary. Not simply elevated offerings of whatever your product is, but something increasingly more personal. You want your funders to feel like they're truly contributing to your project, so explain what their level of contribution will actually do for you.

I would also suggest reading this article by Forbes - they've also got some great tips in getting your campaign off the ground and into success. http://www.forbes.com/sites/thebigenoughcompany/2013/03/06/9-tips-on-running-a-successful-kickstarte...

Best of luck!!!

Ryan

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
33 0 1

Hi Cyan,

Good news for you as Kickstarter will be available for you in November 2013 http://www.kickstarter.com/australia

Good luck!

Lorraine

0 Likes