Multiple currency checkout on shopify

Lenneke_Klomp
2 0 4

has anyone found a way of offering a multiple currency checkout? I know you can show the price in different currencies but I also need to be able to offer checkout in multiple currencies. 

Matthew_Buttler
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
959 1 58

Hey Lenneke!

Currently there is no way to charge in different currencies during checkout. Payment gateways will always charge your default currency, which is set in your General Settings menu.

Talk to you soon!

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

0 Likes
Mikkel_Schultz
Shopify Partner
2 0 0

Hi Matthew

What is the exact reason why you do not offer other currencies in the checkout? 

In Denmark we have credit cards that cannot be charged in other currency than Danish kroner. So people cannot use their card on out Shopify shop, because it is in EUR. (we need it to be in EUR due to our customers outside Denmark).

We know that we could make another shop, which could then be in Danish kroner - but then we have to administrate two shops and we will have two Dashboards etc. Not a good solution.

So could you please answer why you cannot offer it - and if you have any future plans of offering different currincies during checkout?

BR
Mikkel

0 Likes
Lenneke_Klomp
2 0 4

I agree Mikkel, it is really annoying for businesses in Europe. I am thinking of actually leaving shopify because it is harming my business. 

Is there any update on this from Shopify? Please keep me posted. 

Matthew_Buttler
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
959 1 58

Hey Mikkel!

Certain currencies cannot be processed by particular payment gateways-- this isn't really a shortcoming on Shopify's end, as we can display prices in nearly any currency from around the world. However, certain payment gateways restrict which currencies they will process. An example of this can be found on PayPal's resource documents, at this link:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/sell/mc/mc_intro-outside

It's always best to verify which currencies are supported by your payment gateway. All of the payment gateways we currently support worldwide are listed here:

http://www.shopify.com/payment-gateways

Though your store's main currency must match a supported currency for your payment gateway, you can also display your store's prices in multiple currencies, like with this customization:

http://docs.shopify.com/manual/configuration/store-customization/currencies-and-translations/currenc...

As per the disclaimer at the start of the article, that tutorial provided 'as is'. Shopify Support and design gurus cannot help you implement and debug the solution described here. You and your programmers will be on your own if you decide to apply this solution.

Let me know what you think!

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

0 Likes
Richardson_Soeg
2 0 2

We need to be able to show multiple currencies on the checkout page.

My shop is based in Indonesia and people here still prefer to use bank transfer option and use local currency. I understand that payment gateways do not support some currencies, therefore I use USD as the base currency for my shop and enable the bank transfer option.

I've received many complaints and drop offs because people do not know the amount to transfer in local currency when they are on the checkout page. They only see the total price in USD.

Shopify needs to simplify the checkout process and provide an option to show multiple currencies on the checkout page.