Need to create Wholesale catalog for Reps with Barcodes

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello, we're hoping someone out there has some advice for us! We need to create a wholesale catalog (PDF and print version) of all of our current products, along with their variations and barcodes for each (not just the numbers, but the actual scannable barcode image) to send to our Reps/Dealers. So far, we have not found any Shopify apps or external solutions that offer a way to do this. Do any other wholesalers have experience with this? Are there any companies or software products that can help?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3244 245 556

Hi there, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

Are you looking specifically for a wholesale app that includes a barcode, or would it work for you to be able to create a barcode separate from a wholesale app and connect it to your products? The reason I ask is that Shopify has a helpful guide on how to create barcodes which you can see here as well as a free barcode generator here

You mentioned you've checked out some apps so I'm guessing you have seen the most popular wholesale apps in the app store also, but just in case you haven't, you can find them here. Most of the wholesale apps are developed by a third party developer and it could be worth reaching out to them directly about what you're looking for just in case. If you click into an app and scroll down you can see on the right hand side the best way to connect with the developers for each app. Hopefully, this helps and gives you some direction for some next best steps. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
46 0 10

Good morning! Based on your short explanation, and assuming my understanding of what you're asking  is correct, it sounds like you may need to think about at a custom solution that can meet your specific needs here. This is unfortunately not something Shopify provides out of the box and while I haven't actually ever searched for a Shopify App that has this functionality, my guess is it's a relatively unique use case. 

If I'm interpreting your post correctly, it sounds like you're basically looking to generate a pdf catalog that you can share with your wholesalers that includes all of your product information so they can choose products they'd like to order.

Depending on how vital this process is to your business and the investment you're willing to make into it, you'll probably want to ask yourself a couple questions. Mainly, how often do you anticipate having to generate this pdf? If it's something that would only happen once a quarter or so, I would say you could likely pay a designer or another freelancer to export all of your product data and put a pdf together for you. I'm sure there would be a cost associated to doing so but if it's not something that happens frequently, this may be your most cost effective solution. 

If, however, this is something that you need to do weekly or maybe even monthly...or perhaps every catalog is unique to the wholesaler...that quickly becomes something that can be too time consuming to do manually and you might want to look at building a custom Shopify App to do it for you. Shopify provides several easy ways for a programmer to extract your product data which could then be fed it into a custom designed pdf template. This route is certainly a bit more complex and may require a bit more of a financial investment but it is feasible and could replace any human hours that are currently being put towards the project.

Neither of these options are necessarily small undertakings but Shopify does provide plenty of ways to get the data you need from the platform which can then be used in whatever manner you'd like. 

I hope that helps but please don't hesitate to let me know if I can provide any additional insight :) 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
46 0 10

Ha, wellll...I took a minute to click through some of the links that Nick provided and stumbled upon this app: https://apps.shopify.com/zine-builder. I guess the partner ecosystem covers quite a few use cases that I never would have imagined :)

That doesn't seem like a bad place to start, maybe they have most of the functionality you need?

1 Like