Packaging and UPS delivery processes pre launch details

Orla_O_Shea
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

Hi guys, 

Just a few quick questions on issues that are confusing me right now. 

For Dropshipping

1) Do I create packaging seperately and send to the supplier?  Where is best to do this?  

2) Do I give my UPS tracking number to the supplier.  Is it normal for them to control the shipping so they can attach on the relevant packaging so this is not blind shipping. 

3) Do I send all suppliers a PO and then order and send via their websites..  ?  What is usually the normal process as I need the UPS tracking number to send to my buyers via shopify. 

Thanks, 

Orla. 

0 Likes
Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
826 34 291

Hey, Orla!

I'm Aria, a Social Care guru at Shopify. ?

Some suppliers will allow you to send them your own packaging and others only use their own packaging. I would recommend you reach out to your supplier directly to discuss with them the options available. 

It's normal for the supplier to control everything to do with the shipping. They may or may not use UPS. It's possible they have a more cost-effective option that they use. This is another question I'd ask them directly. A lot of suppliers will have their shipping information and rates on their websites. 

The tracking number is always obtained by the company doing the shipping so this would come from your supplier rather than you. If they don't have access to your orders, they can send you the tracking number to update your order once they ship. It might be a good idea to set them up as a staff member with limited access to allow them to process the fulfilment for you. If you'd like to do that, you can find the instructions in this guide. You would also set up a Custom Fulfillment Service to let your supplier know an order was placed on your store. 

Does that make sense? If there's anything else you need, please let me know. 

Aria
Social Care Guru
Shopify

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Orla_O_Shea
Shopify Partner
6 0 1

Thats great thanks a lot. 

0 Likes