Refund policy with drop shipping

Solved
2 0 1

Hi all,

First post.

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed but I genuinely can't find an answer on here or the Shopify help centre.

I haven't yet had an order but I had a query about refunding.  I need to write my refunds policy but I'm not sure yet of the process.

My online only shop is setup to purely drop ship.  If a customer were to want a refund I understand the process for giving them the money but do they send the product back to the shipped from address?  Do they send it directly to me and I send it back to the manufacturer/wholesaler?

It's very early days for my business and it's a side project for me at the moment.  I'd very much like to see that this is a feasible way to bring in some income.

Thank you.

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
120 6 11

Hi, @waftycranker

Thank you for reaching out in the community about this; I can definitely understand the confusion there! When dropshipping, many people choose to offer refunds without needing the customers to return the products. A popular choice for dropshippers is to allow the customer the option of a replacement product, which works out really well if the product has arrived damaged or broken. Needless to say, you will want to ask for photos of the damage before offering the replacement. This is a great option for both parties, as the markup on dropshipped products typically covers at least twice the cost of the original product. 

If they would like to send it back to you instead, then you can process their refund as normal and have them ship it back to you. Due to having another supplier ship out your inventory, it is typically easiest to have them send it to you directly. Then, the next time a customer orders that product (assuming it was not damaged), you can ship it out yourself instead of having your supplier do it. You can find additional information about offering refunds and returns as a dropshipper on Oberlo's help docs here. As well, if you need any help creating that Refund policy or adding it to your online store, take a look at this help docLet me know if you have any questions! 

Brie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
2 0 1

Thank you very much, makes a lot of sense.

I'm using almost entirely Far East suppliers at the moment.  I think I'll transition to UK or at the least Western European suppliers if possible.

Thanks again.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
120 6 11

Hi, @waftycranker

You're very welcome, and that sounds great! Do you know what types of products you were thinking about selling? The Spocket app specifically offers products from EU and US suppliers, so depending on what you were going to sell, that may be a good resource to take a look at.

With that being said, any of the dropshipping apps should allow you to filter by the shipping origin, so that you can see the products from only those suppliers. Most of the them have a free trial, and you can see them all in our app store here. Let me know if you have any questions! 

Brie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes