Selling Wholesale with Shopify (without accounts)

Highlighted
Pathfinder
111 0 58

Just wanted to share how we ended up selling wholesale without accounts.

OUR NEEDS:

1. We dont want to use accounts as sales to consumers (B2C) are our main business.
  2. We have special wholesale pricing which is specific for each item.
  3. We want to be as true as possible to Shopify. We don't want to use apps that affect other parts of Shopify or other apps.

GETTING THE ORDER FROM THE WHOLESALE CUSTOMER (B2B)

We have tried solutions where the wholesalers placed their orders directly on our webshop - but we found that in more than 90% of the orders we would need to change something. It turns out that it is actually much more effective to receive the order from them on an email and then do pick, pack, order/invoice, ship instead of order/invoice, pick, error, order/invoice, pack, ship.

The simple way we get the order from them is that they shop like normal on our page. When they are finished they have a private link which will generate an email with the items. The items will also be sorted by pick location which saves us a lot of time compared to getting an order with random sorting.

The B2B customers likes this solution as they can fill the cart during the day and then generate the email. It is very simple and easy to use.

MAKING THE ORDER IN SHOPIFY

We have made a location in Shopify called "Wholesale" and all wholesale orders will be on this location. This makes it very easy to separate the sale in Shopify Reports.

To make the order we use the app Edit Orders (thumbs up to the Edit Orders team for making the changes needed). In Edit Orders we can select the customer, location and prices. We have our wholesale prices in a variant metafield* but Edit Orders let you use a calculation - example: Sales Price minus 25%. It is very easy to enter the order with Edit Orders and we only select pricing once and the rest is automatic. I made a video a year ago - the app is even better now :)

At the time we enter the wholesale order we have already picked the products. As soon as a product is entered in Edit Orders it will show the inventory. This makes it easy to see if we are picking items that were already sold to other customer. This never happened for us - but if you have many orders pr. hour then you would be able to see that you are trying to sell more than is available. Edit Orders even has an option which is "Allow Edit Order to force overselling".

* Metafields are not as dangerous as it sounds. We use ShopifyFD which is an awesome tool (thumbs up to Jason for the tool and a load of extra help). With ShopifyFD it is actually easy to use metafields :)

SUM UP AND NEXT STEP

For us the above setup works better than what we had before. We had to change some procedures, but we actually spend time much more effectively now - which feels nice :)

Some of our wholesalers are also using Shopify and they next step for them is to start using Stocky. Stocky is an app that helps with inventory and creates purchase orders. Stocky will suggest which items to buy based on sales, create the PO and when receiving the order you can let Stocky update the inventory. We use it ourselves and it rocks :)

/Kim
Morfars.dk

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
128 0 12

Hi Kim, 

Thanks for this break down! It's very useful. Could you explain this process a bit more: 

The simple way we get the order from them is that they shop like normal on our page. When they are finished they have a private link which will generate an email with the items. 

How do you generate the private link? Do they get the link after they have purchased? 

Thanks Kim, 

Divya, with Now In Store 

I am the co-founder of Now In Store. Create a beautiful product catalog in 30 seconds with us. www.nowinstore.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
111 0 58

Hi Divya,

It is a page where we show the content of the cart and then a button which will generate an email where the content of the mail is the cart. The page has been custom made with some javascript to sort the products.

Like http://morfars.dk/pages/example (not actual link)

/Kim
Morfars.dk

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 2

Can you show us a screenshot of what this button looks like? Do all customers see it? Does the email show the wholesale price of the products? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
111 0 58

It is just an url - the link is just a link in the B2B customers browser.

No, it does not show the wholesale price. In our solution the wholesale price is never shown as we don't use accounts and we don't want anyone to see it by accident.

The way we do it will not be a perfect fit for all. But if you want to avoid accounts and "work-arounds" - then this works quite well.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi,

I am in the exact same situation. How does the metafields setup work? Is there anyway to add the shipping from checkout to the edit orders app?

Thanks

Colin

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
111 0 58

Hi Colin,

Metafields works perfect for us. We don't use shipping on wholesale orders - but I think the new version of Edit Orders can do it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Hey Kim,

I am a newbie and would love to know how to setup metafields in my shop. I am completely unsure where to begin. I downloaded the app you suggested but that is as far as I got.

Regards,

Colin

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
111 0 58

Hi Colin,

I was thinking about making a small tutorial, but there are many things to consider so I would recommend you to get help from a Shopify Expert.

You need to find out exactly what you want to achieve and then plan the metafields carefully. Then you need help with setting it up - and then you would be able to go on from there.

/Kim

0 Likes