Shipping questions

Dee_Wilson
1 0 0

Hi there

I already have 2 shopify stores selling products that I stock but I'm interested in dropshipping and would like to try a store with this method. I just have some questions regarding shipping if anyone can help

1. If a buyer orders multiple products from your store which come from  different suppliers isn't it a problem that they don't receive all their goods in one package and at the same time if it was one order?

2. Are people really willing to wait the 7 -14 days for a product when there are other stores shipping in 1 day?

3. What about customs/taxes? If the buyer doesn't know you are a dropshipping store aren't they surprised when they have to pay extra when receiving their purchase?

Hope to get some answers on these.

Thanks very much

Dee

0 Likes
AnaW
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
87 0 24

Hey, Dee!

Happy to provide some insight to your questions. :)

1. If a buyer orders multiple products from your store which come from  different suppliers isn't it a problem that they don't receive all their goods in one package and at the same time if it was one order?

That's a great question and something that dropshipped businesses do unfortunately have to deal with. The important thing here is to set expectations, so you want to make sure that it's clear (either through a FAQ/Policies page or by editing your order confirmation email) that products purchased may arrive separately due to the fact that they're coming from different locations/warehouses.

2. Are people really willing to wait the 7 -14 days for a product when there are other stores shipping in 1 day?

I've definitely waited 7-14 days (and often even longer!) for products to arrive. My answer to this comes back as a question to you: What can you offer your customers that stands out above the other stores that ship in 1 day? Maybe it's lower prices, or maybe it's a different selection. It could even something as simple as access: they don't know that the other store exists, or how to find the product elsewhere if you've marketed to them to get their attention first (if you're indeed selling the same thing). People are willing to wait for something that they want that they can't find anywhere else.

Something else to consider is that once you've established that a certain product is a top seller and have enough sales to do so, you may want to purchase those products in bulk so that you can offer faster shipping times on select products. A lot of successful dropshipping stores do this in order to generate more profit margin per sale, as well as provide a faster shipping experience.

3. What about customs/taxes? If the buyer doesn't know you are a dropshipping store aren't they surprised when they have to pay extra when receiving their purchase?

Another great question! This is another case where setting expectations is super important. Customs/taxes aren't always charged, though, so you may find that this won't be an issue for some customers and countries. However, you definitely want to make a mention of this somewhere on your website.

Hope this helps! :)

Ana

0 Likes
AlvinWilliams
4 0 0

Yes, true. Being a user, I would like to have all the shipment ordered in a single delivery  mode. I think the ecommerce product distribution services should be enhanced by  proper  management.

0 Likes