Shopify is terrible for Wholesale

2 0 0

In selecting the move from 3dcart to Shopify, we made some false assumptions on how advanced the platform is. This was largely due to the amount of time the platform was around. We assumed that they must have paid attention to how product companies sell to consumers and retailers.  While the front end of the site is quite a bit better than 3dcart, the functionality that is naturally part of 3dcart is lightyears ahead of Shopify.  To be honest, it's quite startling and we wouldn't have gone through the expense based on what we know now.  

1. The system cannot manage price levels

2. It does not allow you to login to a wholesale customer from the admin side to place an order for them.

3.  You have to authenticate/activate the account via an email going to the customer, instead of just creating an account on the fly or uploading a batch list of customers.

4.  The system is incapable of handing bundling and discounting properly.  Even with the third party apps that are present, it is highly problematic. 

5.  The changes to the system could be done in a week with a few developers or any developer walking down the street of Austin.  

6.  The system is overly complex for managing very basic tasks from managing custom shipping methods to general config. 

Happy to review any feedback or ideas on the above.  Our team is pretty dissatisfied with the platform. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
13 0 0

I am not sure this will help you, but I will share my perspective which is based on some experience in this problem domain.

Shopify was designed for retail.  Anytime you try to use a tool for something it was not designed to do there will be a price to pay.  Shopify can be used to capture wholesale orders, but additional effort is required to fill in the gaps.  Using the same Shopify store for retail and wholesale adds additional complexity, but it can also work in the end:

It also doesn't handle payment terms very well.  If you want to create a wholesale site that accepts orders in advance that are not charged immediately, you will want to create you own checkout page.  Once you commit to that endeavor prices levels are not too difficult to implement using tags and/or metafields associate with the customer.

2. It does not allow you to login to a wholesale customer from the admin side to place an order for them.

As admin I believe you can place an order for any customer.  That said, why would you want to.   The point of using a Shopify wholesale site for us was to allow the customer to place  orders themselves.  Most wholesale order management systems do not have this functionality.  If you have a wholesale system you are integrating with Shopify then it is better to enter the order directly into that system if the customer is not placing the order themselves.  Again, Shopify is not designed to be a wholesale system.  If you are attempting to use it as a wholesale order management system you may not be happy with the result.  If you are using it to pull wholesale orders into a wholesale management system then you can succeed.  There are other application designed for wholesale sales that integrate with order management systems that may be more more suited for your requirement (JOOR, NuOrder, Handshake, etc.).  Shopify can be a lower cost alternative if you are willing to put in the effort upfront.

3. You have to authenticate/activate the account via an email going to the customer, instead of just creating an account on the fly or uploading a batch list of customers.

You can add customers through the API or import them from the customer screen in Shopify.  If you want the customer to login and place order then sending them an email to set their password is a good thing in my opinion. 

4. The system is incapable of handing bundling and discounting properly. Even with the third party apps that are present, it is highly problematic.

I agree.  You will need custom code and potentially a custom app to make it work the way you want.  With a custom check out page the discounts are not difficult to overcome.  Bundling is always complicated but manageable with custom code.

5. The changes to the system could be done in a week with a few developers or any developer walking down the street of Austin.

Everything is difficult until you understand how to do it.  Even so, it will take more than a week with an experienced developer to make Shopify work as a wholesale website with the features you need.  The API and metafield structures in Shopify make it very customizable and powerful.   As with any software  platform there are limitations and aspects that I find frustrating, but overall it is a strong platform and I prefer it to any other e-commerce solution I have worked with or explored (including 3dcart). 

Good luck with your venture.  Let us know if you need assistance.

www.leftfootsoftware.com

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
20 0 0

Hi 

The app is called "Wholester", and aims to be the all-in-one toolkit for your B2B sales in Shopify, all while operating your online store as your B2C sales channel.

Wholester.io

A few features:

• Customer + product specific wholesale pricing
  • Multiple order checkouts for customers with more than 1 store
  • Payment Terms (eg. Net 30), with automatic processing of vaulted cards on due date
  • CSV order creation tool, for large amounts of ship-to destinations
  • Saved address and credit cards for fast re-orders

Wholester manages discount levels on a per-customer and per-category basis.

Wholester vaults customer credit cards with Stripe, so completing orders and payments on behalf of the customer is easy.

3.  You have to authenticate/activate the account via an email going to the customer, instead of just creating an account on the fly or uploading a batch list of customers.

Customers can be imported via CSV directly in Shopify, and with Wholester, B2B accounts and Shopify customers can be created in one step, which you can start creating orders on behalf of immediately.

4.  The system is incapable of handing bundling and discounting properly.  Even with the third party apps that are present, it is highly problematic.

Wholester features an additional "bundling" system called "Category Groups". Line sheets are also on the way. The discounting system is powerful - take if for a test run!

If you are interested in trying this out, feel free to get in touch at support@appsbypix.com.

3.jpg

0 Likes
3 0 0

@PixApps does it support varying case sizes for individual products? If my wholesale case size and my large distributor case size for a product are different, can I set them per customer and item?

Thank you,

Adam

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
20 0 0

Hey @TheAdamKramer ,

Could you please provide more detail as to what you mean by "case size"?

If you are referring to the shipping boxes, Wholester currently pulls shipping rates directly from Shopify, so they would match up with what your store is currently using. We are however currently developing a feature that will allow input of custom shipping rates when creating orders on behalf of customers.

Perhaps you are talking about product visibility on a per customer basis? This is also on the development roadmap - essentially offering the ability to block out certain collections of products for certain customers.

Feel free to reach out directly as well at support@appsbypix.com - we can certainly schedule a demo, and we're happy to gather some feedback!

0 Likes