Splitting an order among multiple drop ship vendors

Teresa_Craighea
3 0 0

My store is stocked with products that will be dropshipped from multiple vendors. I am confused about what add-on capabilities I will need to make it flow smoothly. Can someone please help with the following scenario:

A customer orders 3 products from my shop, each from a separate vendor.

1. How does Shopify handle this? I am setting up each item to generate a PO to an email address associated with that vendor. But does that only work if the order has a single item? In other words, does shopify split the order into its different parts, or do I need to use Ordoro or ecommHub for to split a multiple product order into single orders per vendor?

2. Integrating shipping. I have two questions about shipping. I have a FEDEX account synched to my store to provide real-time carrier rates. BUT, we sell items that are beyond the weight/size scope of FedEx and UPS. How do I integrate another shipper that carries oversized furniture, like AIT or LTL?

0 Likes
Matthew_Buttler
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
955 1 60

Hey Teresa!

Each product can have its own fulfilment company associated with it on the variant level. This means that you'll be able to set each individual variation of a product to be fulfilled by a different company. Whoever is listed as a variant's fulfilment company will be notified as per your settings>shipping menu under the fulfilment/dropshipping section.

As for the shipping integration question, you'll simply need to determine shipping rates that are suitable for each product. It might be worth looking into Better Shipping by Atom Yard for this, as it allows you to set per-item shipping.

http://apps.shopify.com/better-shipping

Talk to you soon!

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

matthew.buttler@shopify.com

0 Likes
Teresa_Craighea
3 0 0

Hi Matthew,

Thank you so much for replying. So you are saying I don't need an app like Ordoro or eCommhub in order to effectively process orders containing items from different dropshippers. That is good news!

On the second problem, the shipping issues, you are saying this app will allow me to set a shipping rate at the item level. I am supposing the best way to do that is to average weights across the country and estimate something that will be "more or less" accurate, and then make adjustments over time.

I have an additional question on this particular app and its integration into my cart. Will the shipping amount show BEFORE the customer has to enter their payment information, or not until after? It seems the shopify default is to supply the shipping information AFTER entering the credit card info, but I feel that is a real barrier to customer service, and want to do something that will make the shipping charges evident prior to entering the credit card info. Does this app make that happen?

Thanks!

Teresa

0 Likes
Matthew_Buttler
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
955 1 60

Hey Teresa!

The issue you're seeing with entering payment information is actually part of the PayPal express gateway, and is actually exclusive to that gateway. The majority of our payment gateways are fully integrated within Shopify, meaning the regular checkout flow is to collect the customer's shipping and billing information, and then they are able to select their shipping method and see the 'full' price of the order prior to checking out.

This is not the case with PayPal Express-- PayPal Express forces the customer to effectively sign into their PayPal account and/or enter credit card information prior to the finalization of the order. This differs from our regular checkout flow, as it collects billing information prior to finalizing the checkout and selecting a shipping method. That is actually a shortcoming of the PayPal gateway, and relates to several very common questions that we get:

-Why are taxes not being charged on my order? (They are, they are just being added on after the PayPal phase of the checkout)

-Why are shipping rates not being charged on my order? (Again, they are, but after the PayPal phase of the checkout)

-Why can't my customers add a discount code to their order? (The discount code entry field is... you guessed it, after the PayPal phase of the checkout)

Typically I suggest folks use a different, fully integrated gateway such as Shopify Payments, or any of the other payment gateways available in their country. In your case, the United States has a wide array of payment gateways available to it, and our complete list of choices is available via this link:

www.shopify.com/payment-gateways/united-states

To answer your question, because you're still using PayPal Express, the shipping charges won't be added on until after the PayPal authorization of the payment, but selecting a different, fully integrated gateway will allow your customers to see their shipping charges prior to entering their payment info over on Shopify.

Let me know what you think!

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

0 Likes
Teresa_Craighea
3 0 0

Oh you rock, Matthew! Thank you so much for the clarity in your answers!

We are working with a gateway now, and will have that set up shortly. Thanks so much.

0 Likes
Matthew_Buttler
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
955 1 60

No problem, Teresa!

Have a good one!

Matthew Buttler
Guru
Shopify Inc.

0 Likes
Harper
Shopify Partner
98 0 24

Hi Matt, is there a way for our vendors to print off a shipping label automatically based off of the address and info in our PO that is emailed to them? Or an app that does this?

Any answers appreciated.

0 Likes
Alan_Weinberg
1 0 0

I have several product lines and wish to use different drop-shippers for each. How is it possible to configure my settings for this? Currently, i only see the option to insert one fulfillment company, not several and then how do I assign each product line to the right drop-shipping company?

0 Likes