What are the legal parameters do I need to fulfill to be able to sell in other countries?

3 0 1

What do I need to do to be able to legally sell in countries such as the following: USA, United Kingdom, Canada, Austria, Ireland, Thailand, Russia, New Zealand, Australia and other countries in the European Union? Any help will be much appreciated. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
113 11 24

Hi @LoganvanWyk,

Thank you for reaching out and for asking your question. The short answer is that each country will have their own set of requirements and standards, so you will need to take some time to do some research into each country you plan to sell into. May I ask where you yourself are based?

I believe for most countries you will need to sell a minimum amount before you're required to register your business with the government, if at all, although I would recommend you check this for every country you plan to sell into. You'd also want to check the rules on selling into the European Union, as your obligations will likely depend on whether or not you are based in another EU country or if you are selling from outside the EU as a whole.

For US taxes, I'd highly recommend checking out the website TaxJar - they have a wealth of information regarding taxes here, including guides provided on a state-by-state basis. This particular blog of theirs looks to be particularly relevant: Do International Sellers Have to Deal with Sales Tax in the US?

I've done a bit of research for you and have found some relevant articles on respective government websites that you will hopefully find useful:

I hope this helps get you started and gives you an idea as to what information you should be looking for, but please let me know if you have any further questions. I'd also welcome any other community members to contribute their advice if they have experience of selling from abroad into the countries you've mentioned.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
3 0 1

Thank you so much for your answer. What about permits? I have done quite a bit of research and for instance, according to my research in Austria, I have to be Tax registered to sell to private individuals. These things are so unclear on the internet. 

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
113 11 24

Hi @LoganvanWyk,

That's something we'd not be able to advise on, I'm afraid. I'd always encourage merchants to do their research and if they are unsure on what their obligations are, to then contact a tax professional.

I did come across this article which might be of some help. It states:

"For foreign businesses trading in Austria that are VAT/GST/Tax registered in their home state, the VAT registration threshold is nil. For EU VAT registered companies selling goods over the internet to consumers in Austria, the VAT registration threshold (distance selling) is €35,000 per annum."

Again it seems your obligations will depend on whether or not you are based in another EU country and if you are tax registered there.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes