Wholesale site End Users…

Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

So I made a bright and shiny new Shopify site for wholesale customers. Through this I think I discovered a generation gap. While I find it easier to order online, some of our customers still prefer to place orders through the phone and email. I would still like to have all the orders processed through Shopify. I've investigated POS apps such as shopkeep and vend, but it seems that doesn't send any info back to shopify. It would be easy if there was a way to place an order for a customer through the site. The work arounds I've figured out are:

—Create a secondary customer account (the first being the one they setup), and have the activation sent to my company's email. This way we would be able to log in to their account when needed.

or

—Simply asking for their account password when they call or email.

Anyone have any other ideas? Is there a better way to accomplish this that I am unaware of?

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2294 116 353

Go with your 2nd option and prep a faq as to why you have to ask for their password. The security of this is really bad but without your customers being willing to use a web browser no real options.

But if your taking orders over the phone the purpose of a POS is....?

The Api does not let you create orders on a customers behalf so far.

Great design , like the collection navigation. added to my noteworthy sites.

If your not only word of mouth, about us page, and more info on the customer login page sending to the credit app.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

Paul,

Thank You for the feed back. An FAQ is a great idea!

I was experimenting with a POS for the ease of the person taking the order. We also have a setup at trade show with 3 ipads that we take orders on. I placed a test order on the site and have decided it's just a fast to use the wholesale site as a POS. The POS complicates things for right now. I think the feedback from some customers was making me a little insecure of the sites ease of ordering. After going through it myself it seems pretty straight forward.

Glad you like the design. The site has only been up for 2 weeks and I'm still trying to work out the bugs.

Be sure to check out our retail site.

Once again thanks for your help.

-Justin 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
5711 0 146

Hey Justin! Still haven't seen that grilled cheese truck around these parts! ;P

Can you just send them a cart permalink?

http://www.shopify.com/technology/4849802-new-feature-cart-permalinks

Can't get much easier. Build the order, send a link, collect money, plan world domination from secret island volcano headquarters.

http://shopifyplus.com ::: http://twitter.com/bacchus
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

Jamie, I think that is the solution!!! Has anyone called you a genius today? Thanks so much!

I know! We need to freak Charleston soon!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
695 0 15

sweet, Jamie! :)

jewellery designer-maker & nature inspired photographer | West Yorkshire, UK
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2294 116 353

@freaker , what issues were customers complaining about are these the same ones that want to place orders over the phone because of the issues?

@Jamie I thought perma-carts were only just for pre-filled products. Can you fill out an orders ship/bill info and send that retained in the link too?

I haven't played with em enough but i assume when a signed out customer gets a perma-link, depending on shop settings, they still get a choice-o-login wall?

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

Paul,

No real issues with the website. I think it just comes down to some people aren't comfortable using the internet in general. It is a small percentage, but still a percentage. I've come to terms that I can't accommodate that through any design.

The only real issue that's come up is that the site don't display correctly in IE 8.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hello,

Can someone give me an idea of how he made his minimum order quantity 10,20,30......

Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
52 0 1

@freaker, Do you mind explaining why you couldn't use one of those POS apps you mentioned above for this? I assume they have phone order functionality. Is it because then you'll have to process some orders through Shopify and others through a POS app? And then you have to deal with data in two places?

I am curious on the details because I could use that input when designing the manual order capture feature for our shipping / dropshipping app - Ordoro. A lot of users have been asking us to build payment (credit card) processing into our app so that they can track all phone sales. We already get all the Shopify orders into the Ordoro app (for shipping purposes). And the users can also create manual (phone) orders (currently without payment processing) in Ordoro. But if you still want to see all the orders in Shopify, then it may not be useful for us to design that feature that way.

Thanks in advance for your help!

http://apps.shopify.com/ordoro- Automated Dropshipping, Easy Shipping Labels (USPS, Fedex, UPS) and Powerful Inventory Management for Shopify stores
0 Likes