a question or 2 about drop ship from china to canada

Roy1
5 0 0

Hi Folks

I am located in Canada and want to start a small online retail business and want to try drop shipping for the first time.

Before I came to Canada 6 years ago I had a good running online store in Germany + eBay

and everything was nice and uniform.

5 years ago I was looking into selling online again but I was a little overwhelmed with all the regulations here in Canada and I wasn't very confident because of my language skills.

Today I am ready to start all over again, I've got only 2 questions left.

I asked 3 different People who (I thought) should know everything about it and guess what,.... 3 different answers. If this is not confusing,... I don't know.

However,... Now I ask one of you , who is actually doing this job for at least a little while

1. since I'm going to sell online (inside Canada only) I was been told I have to register my

Business in all Provinces and Territories.

Bullshitt or truth ?

1. Since I'm planning on doing drop shipping (mainly from China for now) , do I have to have an Import permit for this and have to clear and pay the duties for the Items coming into Canada or is the purchaser responsible for this ?

Hiring a Customs Broker would make a single Item or even a small amount of Items of lower value exorbitant expensive.

So, what do I have to do ?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Greetings

Roy

0 Likes
vmw90
Shopify Partner
23 0 0

For $98 we can build you a profitable dropshipping website! We have made businesses succeed greatly! For much more information please email me at ywlaacus@gmail.com

0 Likes
CoolPremier
Tourist
26 0 3

Yikes! 15 days and no answer? Shame on Shopify!!

Anyway Roy if your still around here is a link for you. http://www.canadabusiness.ca/blog/e-commerce-what-to-consider-when-selling-online-in-canada-1/.

When shipping from China, if using a dropshipper many I have found will ship once a container is full so shipping of products will take longer. Here is another link of shipping and brokerage info. It's 2010 so it is possible tha there has been changes made. You may have to do some research.https://doesitblog.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/international-shipping-into-canada/

Also if you don't think you will make over 30k a year you wont need claim it under your taxes. That is what I was told from a person at government number I had called.

That's all I have for yea, hope it steers you in the right direction!

http://www.coolpremier.com

0 Likes
Roy1
5 0 0

Hi coolpremier

Thank you very much for taking your Time to reply on this Topic. I knew the link from canadabusiness.ca , this is where I've got my Information from, but since I know, that so many people do not register their online business canada-wide, they do it only in their home province, so I was wondering if I really have to register my Business Country-wide

Do you have your business registered canada-wide ?

I don't, but i am willing to do this, I just have to do more research to make sure if I really have to do it.

Roy

0 Likes
CoolPremier
Tourist
26 0 3

Hi Roy,

I went with the standard Sole prorietorship in Ontario. My supplier is in the usa so it presented a bit of a grey area for me. Although I really wish Ontario would adopt a LLC (Limited liability company). With that said make sure you protect yourself. For now if your starting out you should be fine with just registering in Ontario.  Laws change so check the Gov site from time to time just to keep up to date. But as it stands our Gov is trying to make it easier for us dropshippers.

0 Likes
Roy1
5 0 0

I also went with the Sole Proprietorship here in Saskatchewan 4 month ago, but I haven't started anything yet .
I found my preferred niche a long time ago and I'm happy that I found
a supplier who covers 85% of all products I'd like to sell and only 2 other suppliers who are covering the rest. (all drop shippers)
I have only 4 more things to do before I can finally start launching
my online retail business.
There is a "small business information expo" in Saskatoon on Nov.16. and I have already a ticket for this event in my pocket.
I hope I will get good Information and hopefully some answers to my remaining questions.

0 Likes
CoolPremier
Tourist
26 0 3

http://www.squareonesask.ca/fuel/

Hi Roy,

Hopefully they will have info for dropshippers! 

Goodluck to yea!

0 Likes
Roy1
5 0 0

I was there,

the event was a bit of a disappointment.
Only general information from Government , nothing that anyone can find out in a few minutes by them self, checking the gov websites.
Overall , no Infos for Online Retailer.

0 Likes
Amandeep_Singh
5 0 0

Hi Roy,

If you're interested in selling phone accessories, headphones and Speakers. Please email me. Over 3000 products. 

I provide dropshipping services from Toronto, Canada.

All products are shipped from Toronto. No need to make your customers wait for 30+ days. 

Visit my retail store to see couple of products I offer. Casesingh.ca (Dropshipping prices are different)

Thanks,

Aman

help.casesingh@gmail.com

0 Likes