Financing, tax rates, and accounting
My physical address is in a state that I do not have to charge taxes to customers when shipping out of state. For example, my customer is in California, so my checkout does not charge taxes (which is the expected behavior). However, I am working with a vendor from California for drop shipping. Since they own a small company, there is no automation involve to fulfill the products. When I go to his website to make a purchase (in which they are using shopify as well) and ship it to my customer, I am getting taxed when sending the products to my California customer. Based on this scenario, can I add a tax rule for my store to charge taxes for California customers or any other state?
Thank you for the help,
My name is Jade, I am with the Social Care Team at Shopify.
You can adjust your tax settings so that you are charging taxes to every state. Here are the steps:
1) Click Settings
2) Click Taxes
3) Where it says 'Tax Rates' click United States
4) Uncheck the box at the top of the page that says Calculate taxes automatically.
5) From here you can manually add the tax rate that you would like to charge for each state or you can click the button on the top left side that says Reset to default tax rates. If you select this option a box will appear that asks you to confirm. If you have any tax overrides that you would like to keep you will need to uncheck the box that says Remove all tax overrides before confirming the change.
From here your store will charge taxes to every state. If you would like to change your settings back to how they were before, go to Settings > Taxes > United States and recheck the box that says Calculate taxes automatically.
Have a great day! \ (•◡•) /
Jade | Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog
We're excited to announce improvements to the threaded messaging experience in our communi...By TyW May 31, 2023
Thank you to everyone who participated in our AMA with Klaviyo. It was great to see so man...By Jacqui May 30, 2023
Photo by Marco Verch Sales channels on Shopify are various platforms where you can sell...By Ollie May 25, 2023