Solved

Back to school sales tax free weekend

Shopthetandc
Visitor
1 0 0

I’m in Alabama and our back to school sales tax free shopping weekend begins tonight at midnight. I cannot figure out how to override the sales tax for this weekend only. Can anyone help?

Accepted Solution (1)

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2282 453 395

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @Shopthetandc 

Thanks for reaching out!

Just to gather some additional context, are you wanting to allow only the state of Alabama to not charge taxes on your orders? If so, you can override the taxes on a collection. Once the collection has been created and you have successfully added the products you wish to no longer charge taxes. You can then navigate to Settings > Taxes > Manage (United States), and create a 0% tax override for state of Alabama.

21-43-67515-75724

Alternatively, if you are wanting to allow specific products to not charge taxes on your orders for all customer locations, a good method we can use is set the products to be exempt from sales tax.

• Navigate to your Products

• Select the product you wish to no longer charge taxes on.

• Select the checkbox charge tax on this product

21-41-67438-22800

With that being said, changing the way you collect taxes is done manually. When you would like to charge taxes on the products once again we will need to remove the tax override created or check the box charge tax on this product.

Let me know if that works for you!

Ollie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2282 453 395

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @Shopthetandc 

Thanks for reaching out!

Just to gather some additional context, are you wanting to allow only the state of Alabama to not charge taxes on your orders? If so, you can override the taxes on a collection. Once the collection has been created and you have successfully added the products you wish to no longer charge taxes. You can then navigate to Settings > Taxes > Manage (United States), and create a 0% tax override for state of Alabama.

21-43-67515-75724

Alternatively, if you are wanting to allow specific products to not charge taxes on your orders for all customer locations, a good method we can use is set the products to be exempt from sales tax.

• Navigate to your Products

• Select the product you wish to no longer charge taxes on.

• Select the checkbox charge tax on this product

21-41-67438-22800

With that being said, changing the way you collect taxes is done manually. When you would like to charge taxes on the products once again we will need to remove the tax override created or check the box charge tax on this product.

Let me know if that works for you!

Ollie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

jpack84
Explorer
66 2 23

I added a collection like you mentioned and set it as tax exempt.   Shopify is not charging for tax on the item, but it still shows a $.28 tax added to the order

CadeyTravis
Visitor
1 0 0

Could the additional $.28 be shipping taxes? My state charges shipping taxes and I am here learning how to prep for tax free weekend this weekend and I see there is an override option for both shipping rates and product rates. 

michaelrbayeer
Visitor
2 0 0

Not an easy situation. but there already from above in the comments helped you. Therefore, I would advise you to read more books. The last thing I read was copper-sun on platform. The book is quite interesting. But where am I going to read books about taxes, etc. believe it will help in life.

marshaaine21
Tourist
3 0 0

Yes, good advice was given to you. Read more books about taxes, bonds, and so on. Do you think this will not hook you in life?