Does Shopify automatically collect and file CA sales tax for me?

kittysmilepasad
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi Every One,

I just open my Shopify store, and I have question. When customer purchased from my store, Shopify ready collected the sales tax for me. So I do not have to file it. Is that correct? Thank you 

Reply 1 (1)

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Hi, @kittysmilepasad

Welcome to the Shopify Community and congratulations on recently opening your Shopify store! Glad you reached out to ask this. I can confirm that Shopify does not file or remit your sales taxes for you. 

Shopify will allow you to setup your store to automatically charge the most common sales tax calculations. We use many default sales tax rates, which are updated regularly. If you use the default rates, then you are responsible for confirming that they are current and correct for your particular circumstances. You can override them whenever necessary! 

We have a lot of available information on setting up your taxes. There are different resources available depending on the area your business is based in. I'd recommend reading through the available resources for your area! Here is the link to our Canadian taxes information. While I'm not able to provide legal or tax advice, if you have any questions about how to set up your taxes in your Shopify store, or understanding those settings, I'd be happy to help. 

The best thing to do is to speak with a local tax authority or a tax accountant to ensure you're charging customers the correct sales tax, and that you file and remit the taxes correctly. 

Let me know if you have any further questions! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.