FROM CACHE - en_header

Can I use shopify payments without SSN but have an LLC instead?

Solved
Elabnoudy
5 0 0

Hello Guys,

As exactly per the subject title, I currently need a payment proccesor, and was wandering if I Can use shopify payments without SSN but having an LLC in the US. can this work, and if yes, what should I do about the SSN- section in the shopify payments application?

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1425 174 256

This is an accepted solution.

Hello, @Balar; Welcome to the Community! Happy to look into this for you too.

We’ll need to access your account in order to do so. However, at this time, we’re not able to provide the type of account-specific support this requires via the Shopify Community. But, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

Since this is the next step I've marked this reply as the solution for the benefit of others who may discover this topic. Let me know if I can help with anything else. 

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 46 (46)
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1425 174 256

Hi, @Elabnoudy

I’m Helen from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out about this.

A SSN is required for USA Shopify Payments accounts, as per the Terms of Service: Section B-3. Therefore, I’m afraid there isn’t any way to by-pass that requirement when creating your Shopify Payments account from your admin.

However, if you personally are not located in the USA, but your business has an operational presence there, there’s a possibility that you may still be eligible to use Shopify Payments! 

If this is the case, please let me know, and I would be happy to work with you on this in order to have your eligibility reviewed.

For further reference, in the event that you are not eligible to use Shopify Payments, please find an extensive list here per region of all payment providers that integrate with Shopify.

Elabnoudy
5 0 0
Hi Helen,

Thank you for reaching out, yes am not a US-citizen (Green-card holder)
aka: Don't have a SSN, but I am from another country but my business is
located in the US, I have an LLC in the United States with all the paper
work and tax related documents, I do have EIN number and everything is
fine, so if you can help me to use shopify payments that would be really
great solution, as am currently really confused about these payments
Gateways and I prefer to use Shopify payments
Elabnoudy
5 0 0

Hi @Helen 

Thank you for reaching out, yes am not a US-citizen (Green-card holder)
aka: Don't have a SSN, but I am from another country but my business is
located in the US, I have an LLC in the United States with all the paper
work and tax related documents, I do have EIN number and everything is
fine, so if you can help me to use shopify payments that would be really
great solution, as am currently really confused about these payments
Gateways and I prefer to use Shopify payments

Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1425 174 256

Thank you for the follow-up and additional information, @Elabnoudy.

I’m happy to submit your request to use Shopify Payments in for a review for eligibility. Please keep an eye out for an email I am sending you in order to move forward with this. 

All the best,

Elabnoudy
5 0 0

Thank you @Helen looking forward to it ASAP 🙂

johnPeter
1 0 0

Hi is it possible to use my business LLC for Shopify and use my cousin's SSN for Shopify payments? I don't have an SSN but I am hoping to use the LLC but use her SSN. In the case where this works, who gets to file for taxes? Is it the LLC or my cousin?

Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1425 174 256

Hi, @johnPeter. Thanks for reaching out! 

The Shopify Payments account used needs to be for the region that your store is based in. And so if it is based in the US, then the SSN used for the Shopify Payments account needs to belong to the Account Owner, who then must also be based in the US.  Where are you and your store located?

However, as we discussed above, if you (the Account Owner) is not located in the US, but you have a business presence there (LLC), then your account can be reviewed to determine if you may be eligible to use a US Shopify Payments account anyways. Let me know if you’d like me to help facilitate the review process for this for you. I’m happy to do so.

Additionally, please consult with a tax professional for any questions about taxes for you or your business. They are the best equipped to answer these questions for you.

Elcin
3 0 0

Hi , 

I've the same issue. I've a LLC in US but I live in Turkey. I have a bank account and ein number for my LLC in US. How can I proceed with Shopify Payments. Could you please assist me?

Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1425 174 256

Hi, @Elcin

Thanks for reaching out about this. I’m happy to submit your request to our Shopify Payments team to review and see if you are eligible to use Shopify Payments for your store. Please keep an eye out for an email coming your way with the next steps in order to proceed. 

Thanks!

gastton
3 0 0
Jeaninne
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Hellen:

I have a corporation in US, EIN Number, and all papers in order, products are fulfilled in US but don't have a SSN. I can send you all the papers you need. Can you please help me to finish  the shopify payments option.

Thank you very much

Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1425 174 256

Hey, @Jeaninne. Welcome to the Community! 

Absolutely, I’m happy to escalate your request for review as well. I am sending you an email shortly in order to begin the process. Please reply when you get a chance, and we’ll get it started.

Thanks!

MkZ
2 0 0

Hello Helen, same here with the US-based Corporation but the owner is a non-US citizen. We have a presence in the US and we fulfill orders from US. The paperwork is ready and it would be great if you can help me set up shopify payments account. Thank you.

Jeaninne
Tourist
4 0 1
Hi:
It's been more than a month since my first request regarding this matter and I haven't received an answer.
Can you please help me

Thanks
Jeaninne

Ref: Your ticket ID is 20295974.

Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1425 174 256

Hi, @Jeaninne. I’m sorry to hear you haven’t heard anything back yet! I appreciate your patience.

Thank you for providing the ticket number; I am going to look into this for you and will follow up via email as soon as I have an update.

MkZ
2 0 0

Hi Helen! Same here with the ticket number 21130217. I would really appreciate if you can look into this. Currently, we can only accept Paypal which greatly affects our conversion rates. Thank you.

Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1425 174 256

Hello, @MkZ. Thanks for reaching out again. That’s great to see this request has already been escalated for as well. I’m more than happy to look into the status of it, so thank you for sharing the ticket number. 

In order to keep account information private and confidential though, I’ll be following up with you via the Account Owner email address as soon as I have an update. Keep an eye out for it!

jonathanMC
1 0 0

Hello Helen!

I want to activate Shopify Payments with my EIN number, but without SSN. My business operate in Venezuela, not in US. The currency in Venezuela (BsF) has a big big Inflation, that's why we are using a US corporation and bank account from US.

Could you please help me with any information about verification needed to achieve my goal? 

Thanks!

Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1425 174 256

Welcome to the Community, @jonathanMC! I'm more than happy to help you out with this too.

Please note that due to high support demands at this time, it is taking longer than usual for requests to be reviewed. However, each request will be followed up with. Keep an eye out  for an email I will be sending you shortly with details about what documents will be required, so that you can prepare.