Do I need an HST number to sell?

Martha13
Visitor
2 0 0

I talked to a tax accountant and they said that in Ontario, Canada if you exceed the $30,000 threshold in a single calendar quarter, I need to sign up for an HST #. I haven't made anything yet. I was wondering do I still need to have an HST number if I want to sell my handmade products on Shopify, regardless if I haven't made anything yet? Will it affect my receipt/ invoices by not having one. Not sure how it works with Shopify.  And if I don't need it, is there any steps I need to take in my settings. Thank you for any information that can be given in advance. 

Replies 2 (2)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

@Martha13 

Shopify does not require an HST/EIN number to sign up and start selling. Not having an HST/EIN number will not affect how we invoice you, but it may determine if you need to charge your customers' tax. If you're setting up Shopify Payments under "sole proprietorship" then we will only require your SIN and not an EIN/HST. 

I would be leaning on the side that you do not need the HST number until you surpass the $30k mark; as per your accountant. However, whether you need one for your province will need to be something your Accountant confirms for you as Shopify can not provide tax advice. They can also confirm what provinces you'll need to charge tax for. You can access your tax settings by going to Settings/Taxes. 

Outside of taxes, how is the rest of your store coming along?

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Martha13
Visitor
2 0 0

Thank you for your help. I'll look into it further.