How do I handle international taxes for my dropshipping e-store?

purpledaisy4vr
Excursionist
15 0 3

Hi everyone, Im about launching my e-store, its dropshipping and gonna ship for world-wide. How should I set taxes ? My company based on Turkey, I work with accountant for paying taxes for my country. But should I also pay taxes to the countries I sell ? For example, theres custom tax in Turkey and when I purhchase something from aliexpress for myself, I pay extra money for custom taxe. But the seller do nothing ofcourse, so how can I know that if theres a special tax for my customers country ? I want to them pay for their own country taxes if it theres ? I set my product prices but I super confused about taxes. What means " take tax from this products" ? Im so beginner for this thing and get super confused so please explain it to me friends ?  I want to the customers pay their own taxes to customers their own, should I thick the section "take tax from this product" or not ?

Reply 1 (1)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2451 226 522

Hi @purpledaisy4vr,

Thank you for getting in touch. Setting up your taxes is typically one of the most daunting tasks when you're starting a new store, and it can take some time to make sure you're doing it right.

It's worth stating that each country or region you sell to will have varying laws about sales taxes and when you're required to register for tax in the country, state, or jurisdiction. I would recommend taking the time to look into these laws for each place you decide to sell to, and for this reason it might be worth selling only to a few key markets first before expanding into others. You can take a look through our Ultimate Guide to International Commerce, which goes into more detail on the factors you need to consider when selling abroad, including taxes, shipping, and duties.

For more information on how managing taxes for regions such as the USA and the European Union, you can check out the Shopify Help Center's taxes section.

If you're referring to the "Charge taxes on this product" section, this just indicates whether or not sales tax should be charged on the product for any sales. It's typically disabled when you're selling a product that is not subject to sales tax in any region or jurisdiction you are selling to.

I hope this helps as a starting point, but please let me know if you have more questions!

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog