Solved

How can I take deposits for custom furniture orders in-store?

acbtilton
Visitor
1 0 0

We are a small furniture store specializing in Amish made furniture.  We are strictly a brick and mortar store.  What we need is a way to take a deposit from a customer who is ordering a custom piece of furniture and have the system use that deposit towards purchase when item is physically picked up.   Any advise?   I think I have looked at almost every app out there....Thanks in advance.  Tracey

Accepted Solution (1)

NicoleEll
Excursionist
11 2 3

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Tracey you can do this by selecting split payment instead of  cash or credit card.  Then you just enter the amount of the deposit and mark it as partially paid.  It will remain as partially paid until the final payment.  I can't remember tho if it will show as fulfilled unless you mark it unfulfilled before taking the deposit. 

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

NicoleEll
Excursionist
11 2 3

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Tracey you can do this by selecting split payment instead of  cash or credit card.  Then you just enter the amount of the deposit and mark it as partially paid.  It will remain as partially paid until the final payment.  I can't remember tho if it will show as fulfilled unless you mark it unfulfilled before taking the deposit. 

SteelHead
Excursionist
39 0 50

We take deposits on jobs too.  I haven't had the situation come up since we went live, but I know it will soon.  So, thank you in advance for the help.

Shay
Shopify Staff
2947 457 605

Thank you for sharing this @NicoleEll!

You are correct that you can accept split payment and mark the order has partially paid. If you have set your order to automatically fulfill, then this will mark the order as fulfilled in the admin. It will not archive the order though. It will continue to be open and show the payment status as "Partially Paid".

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

SteelHead
Excursionist
39 0 50

The problem with this is you have to complete the bill before you can accept the deposit.  We used to be able to take a deposit on a Work Order in progress.  We often don't know what the final bill will be until the job is done.

Or, we could take the payment as a credit on the customer's account and then that credit could be applied to the bill when the job was done.  But we don't have either option with Shopify.

Shay
Shopify Staff
2947 457 605

Noted! Thank you for sharing that workflow feedback. I will pass that over to our developers for further consideration. We always appreciate our merchant insights into these workflows. 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog