I want 2 different shipping taxes

adventurebook
Tourist
9 0 2

I need to set up a second tax rate for shipping (I'm based in The Netherlands). I sell products that are taxed differently (21% and 9%) and when a customer buys a product, the shipping tax rate should follow the product they purchased. So if they bought a product with 21% tax, the tax rate on shipping should be 21%. If they bought a product that has 9% tax on it, the tax on the shipping should be 9%. I do not seem to be able to do this within Shopify.

Can it be done? Or with a Shopify Plugin? 

Thank you!

Replies 15 (15)
adventurebook
Tourist
9 0 2

Hi AdnanEr, 

Do I understand correctly that you are building this feature for a Shopify store? 

If so, I would love your help on this. 

adventurebook
Tourist
9 0 2

Hi Victor, 

That is unfortunate. From another poster on this thread, I see that Sweden has similar rules on shipping tax as The Netherlands, so this is a feature that many European merchants would need in their store. I will continue to look for a solution, hopefully, someone will be able to make this customization in my store. Because of course, paying 21% tax instead of 9% on shipping is quite a chunk out of our projected margins and is a bummer to put it mildly.  

Would there be a way for us to batch correct the shipping tax calculated on specific orders? So that we might correct the shipping tax after the order is placed? 

Thank you

AdnanEr
2 0 1

Hi @adventurebook 

I have the same problem as you, but I am not building any feature. Just wanted to know more and inform that you are not the only one who needs this kind of feature. 

Victor
Shopify Staff
1160 104 260

Hi @adventurebook,

I can appreciate your frustration with this, for sure. When I spoke to our taxes team and submitted your feedback it looked like other EU merchants had reached out about this, so the issue has been documented and hopefully it's something that'll be looked at in future.

In terms of what you can do now, you'll have the option to refund customers part of their order if they have overpaid—this can't be done on a bulk level, but you'll be able to reimburse the customer for each order where this is the case.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Fuad29
1 0 0

Hi @Victor 

I have the same problem, as I'm also located in the Netherlands.

Can you please advise how will we get to know then needed changes are applied to Shopify system and approximately how long will it take?

Thank you.

Victor
Shopify Staff
1160 104 260

Hi @Fuad29,

I am not able to confirm that this change will be made, or when it may be implemented. I have submitted feedback to our development team and I know our team that works on Shopify's tax system regularly checks it to make sure it's up-to-date and working for our merchants in various countries. If this is an error then hopefully it will be amended in due course but I cannot confirm when that will be.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog