Minor using Shopify via LLC

Evan01
Visitor
2 0 0

I'm 16 years of age and I'm obviously having issues using Shopify Payments, and I think I can get around that with an LLC. I'm going to make an LLC, with my father as the organizer, me as a member, and get an EIN to go with it. I'm pretty sure this would all work out, except I'm unsure whether or not my father could stay as the organizer, or I need to add him as a member as well for Shopify Payments to be okay with it. I'd much rather keep him as the organizer because if he is also a member, I might be legally required to get him a payroll, I'm not too sure. If anyone could offer some advice, that would be greatly appreciated.

Replies 2 (2)
Andrew
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1746 172 314

Hi @Evan01

While we cannot provide you with legal advice in terms of your LLC, ownership, and other obligations, I can tell you that Shopify's Terms of Service stipulate that:

"You must be the older of: (i) 18 years, or (ii) at least the age of majority in the jurisdiction where you reside and from which you use the Services to open an Account." 

So while you could not be an owner of the account, you could always be a staff member with full permissions, although whenever you reach out to our Support for help, for security reasons we will only be able to communicate with the account owner about store issues or sensitive information. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Claudemell28
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Evan. My son and I are currently having issues adding on the EIN into Shopify.  We are doing exactly what you thought of doing my son 15 is the owner/member of the LLC and I am the manager(not managing member).  Did it work on your end with Shopify payments or did you make your Dad a member on the LLC in turn putting your Dad on the EIN for Shopify to recognize and use the EIN?  We will be opening the business checking in the LLC. Any info helpful.  Thank you!