Solved

Are there tax implications for minors earning on Shopify in the US?

Tyler1212
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, I am wondering what the complications are for minors (under 18) in the US paying their taxes on money earned from here (Shopify).

Accepted Solution (1)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Tyler1212,

As per the "Account Terms" section of the Shopify Terms of Service, all persons using Shopify must be at least 18 years of age or "the age of majority in the jurisdiction where you reside". If you are under 18, I would suggest having a parent or guardian open a store under their name that you can help with and work on. Shopify cannot provide direct tax advice but I would presume in most jurisdictions, you would need to be 18 to register for and remit taxes. I would recommend consulting a tax professional if you are unsure of your obligations.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Reply 1 (1)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Tyler1212,

As per the "Account Terms" section of the Shopify Terms of Service, all persons using Shopify must be at least 18 years of age or "the age of majority in the jurisdiction where you reside". If you are under 18, I would suggest having a parent or guardian open a store under their name that you can help with and work on. Shopify cannot provide direct tax advice but I would presume in most jurisdictions, you would need to be 18 to register for and remit taxes. I would recommend consulting a tax professional if you are unsure of your obligations.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog