Need help with Shopify set-up - IOSS VAT not adding correctly at checkout UK to EU

Heatheri
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi

We've registered with and added the CrossborderIt IOSS App to our store as we are UK based and sell to the EU so need to charge the relevant VAT for EU buyers at checkout.  I've done everything Shopify's instructions laid out for this and CrossborderIt have also confirmed their end is set-up correctly.  However, VAT still isn't being added for EU customers at checkout, at the moment, it is being 'included' in our original item's price and not added as an extra charge as it should be - I'm aware that this may be due to this box being ticked:

Screenshot 2021-10-16 154923.jpg

My question is, if I untick this, do I then need to tick the second box 'include or exclude tax based on your customers country' and then list all of the EU member State countries as per 'location based tax settings' to enable taxes (VAT) to then be collected? Or by just unticking the top box, will VAT for EU buyers be added at checkout automatically?

Is there anybody who can run me through exactly how to set this up correctly??  We only want EU buyers to be paying the relevant VAT on purchases as in accordance with the new EU/UK VAT rules. 

I rather stupidly thought just by adding the App and registering with CrossborderIt that this would all be done automatically, but no....it seems to be far more complicated!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Heather

Replies 2 (2)

CJTCoops
Tourist
20 0 2

Hi Heather, did you get an answer on this?

TeemuEAS
Shopify Partner
117 1 22

Hi Heatheri! 

Just in case the problems persist, just have a look here: https://apps.shopify.com/eas-eu-compliance

With EAS you will not lose any of your current functionalities such as discounts + the same solution scales with your success as it handles ALL of the EU VAT schemes. Not knowing your product range, but it is worth mentioning that you can increase your margin in some instances if you can utilise the 600 000 reduced rates in EU countries - again automatically used for calculation when applicable. 

Pricing is merchant friendly too, with no monthly fees this one should be a no-brainer. 

I hope it helps! 

Leading European cross-border VAT compliance automation
https://apps.shopify.com/eas-eu-compliance