Sales Report by State

wasunflwr
2 0 1

Hi, 

I'm on the basic plan and preparing for quarterly taxes. We are based in WA state but have had some sales in other states and trying to find the best way to find the total sales for each. Is there a way to do this, say just see total sales in WA, on this plan, or without paying for an app? I've seen some people mention needing a professional plan or using an app with a monthly fee. 

Thanks for your help!

Stephanie 

Replies 12 (12)
BobsMojo
Shopify Partner
449 44 104

Hi @wasunflwr 

The way we do this is to go to the orders screen, filter by the date range we need, then export the filtered orders to a CSV. We then use Excel to filter & sort the orders in the CSV file by state.

wasunflwr
2 0 1

Thank you MelsMojoBob, this worked and made it so easy to file!!

texas44
2 0 0

hmm this didn't work for me, it does not show a column with state information on the excel document

BobsMojo
Shopify Partner
449 44 104

@texas44 

In Excel, column 'AP' (Shipping Province).

BobsMojo
Shopify Partner
449 44 104

@bronddy 

On any plan. Just go to your orders screen and hit the export button. The CSV file will have the states listed in column 'AP'.

radiant-shenti
4 0 0

Worked great. Thank you!

canyonjoe
2 0 0

Go into analytics and you can add shipping region to report then change your timeframes.  It will show all states but break out by each one.

goodmorningbaby
10 0 0

Hi Stephanie!

I am also in WA state and saw your post about filing quarterly taxes. This will be my first time filing and was curious did you need to file a separate tax report for each state you did sales in? My normal tax person wasn't sure how to do this (even though its his job :)) So I am trying to figure it out myself!!

Any insight would be so so so appreciated!

texas44
2 0 0
Hi, for Shopify sales - you file wherever you have a physical nexus. If you
live in WA and ship from WA you file taxes from there, not all the states
you sell to. That is my understanding at least and what I have been doing!
canyonjoe
2 0 0
You need to file taxes in all states you have a presence in. We file in the
states where we have a warehouse and any sales offices. Also need to file
in Canada.

For some reason we also have to file in Washington even though we don't
have an office.

Most states are fairly easy. If you wanted to call I'd be happy to help
you.

Karlimcc
1 0 0

Hello!

Analytics > Reports > Sales ... Show all > Sales by Billing Locations > then adjust the columns present in the report by region. Voila

Then you can set the date there. 

mceoin
9 0 0

Hey @BobsMojo - fun fact, if you use a Sourcetable spreadsheet then these reports will be automated for you so won't have to keep downloading those CSVs. (Full disclosure: I am the founder.)

Here's some of the data you can access for your report building: https://sourcetable.com/integrations/shopify