Solved

Sales tax issues outside of my state not being applied! Help! Have tried all the suggestions so far

ResoluteCBD
Excursionist
18 0 6
Help!! My store is only charging sales tax to customers in Colorado. It’s on automatic but not working! Any direction would be appreciated!
Accepted Solutions (2)

gseilei
Shopify Expert
235 28 44

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, have you checked on your setting taxes if you have any state override? or your tax regions have been set up properly?

If you want we could have a deeper look for you. Just write us at info@webmefy.com and we would love to help you.

We help you achieve your Goals! Visit us on: Webmefy.com

View solution in original post

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @ResoluteCBD,

Thank you for getting in touch. Generally, the Shopify tax system will only charge sales tax to US customers in states where you have a presence that is inputted into Shopify's tax settings. I would presume that your store's address is based in Colorado, meaning that the system recognizes that you have a tax nexus here and is charging Colorado-based customers accordingly.

If you do not have a tax nexus in a state, you likely won't need to collect and pay sales taxes for orders placed from that state. A nexus is usually defined by having employees or locations in a state; we've more information on how this is defined here. We also offer a more comprehensive explanation of setting up US taxes on Shopify that you may wish to check out.

Do you have other locations or employees working in other states, or are you and your business only based out of Colorado?

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 32 (32)

gseilei
Shopify Expert
235 28 44

Hi, have you checked on your setting taxes if you have any state override? or your tax regions have been set up properly?

If you want we could have a deeper look for you. Just write us at info@webmefy.com and we would love to help you.

We help you achieve your Goals! Visit us on: Webmefy.com
ResoluteCBD
Excursionist
18 0 6

These guys are fantastic! Use them for any Shopify questions. 

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @ResoluteCBD,

Thank you for getting in touch. Generally, the Shopify tax system will only charge sales tax to US customers in states where you have a presence that is inputted into Shopify's tax settings. I would presume that your store's address is based in Colorado, meaning that the system recognizes that you have a tax nexus here and is charging Colorado-based customers accordingly.

If you do not have a tax nexus in a state, you likely won't need to collect and pay sales taxes for orders placed from that state. A nexus is usually defined by having employees or locations in a state; we've more information on how this is defined here. We also offer a more comprehensive explanation of setting up US taxes on Shopify that you may wish to check out.

Do you have other locations or employees working in other states, or are you and your business only based out of Colorado?

Kind regards,

ResoluteCBD
Excursionist
18 0 6

Thank you for all your help, I would suggest that anyone who needs Shopify help contact these guys! so helpful and prompt

R_Reno
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

Would like some additional help here.

We have an Economic Nexus in 46 States.  Only 12 of which require us to collect State, County and Local.  The other 34 States we only need collect the State Tax.

I've scoured the forums looking for a solution to this and I cannot locate one.  The Tax Override settings don't work for anything but a specific zip code.

Surely Shopify doesn't expect us to enter all of the Zip Code in every State to calculate an override.  There are 39,917 zip codes in the USA.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

ResoluteCBD
Excursionist
18 0 6
Hi,

I had the same problem! I got some help and what you need to do is enter each state as a physical presence, you only need to enter one zip code per state. It literally took me 20 minutes. I printed out a list of all states and zips and just put them in. I hope that helps’ and make sure “automatic is checked”

Resolute CBD
R_Reno
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

Resolute - 

I've entered one zip code per State and have all 46 set up.  But, for example, for New York we should only be charging the State Tax - not the County and Local.  I've entered a Tax Override for New York, but the override is not applying Statewide - it is only applying to the locality for the zip code I used.

Thoughts?

ResoluteCBD
Excursionist
18 0 6
Yes, I ran into this as well, I actually have no idea and have decided for now it’s ok, at least for me. I’ll have to see if they don’t generate. I don’t have the answer to that.....
R_Reno
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

@Victor Can you help with this?

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @R_Reno,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. As @ResoluteCBD said, adding a ZIP code from the state in question should configure the taxes correctly. In terms of the New York issue you mentioned, do you have the "Applies to all counties and cities" option enabled for the override? I believe if you have this enabled it should apply this override on a state-wide basis.

Here's a screenshot of an example from my test store:

20-04-nbvfn-aa0n1

Please let know if it's still not working as desired once this option is enabled.

Kind regards,

R_Reno
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

@Victor

Thanks for getting back to me.  This is such a perplexing set up. Yes, and when the box is checked for "Applies to all counties and cities", the tax rate is overridden and charged flat across all State, County and Local taxes.

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 4.32.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-03 at 4.33.13 PM.png

Another thread that I read through suggested I check both the County and City Level.  This change nets the same result:

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 4.38.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-03 at 4.41.33 PM.png

From what I'm reading, this is a major issue for everyone who doesn't have the Plus level and has multiple Economic Nexus requirements.

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @R_Reno,

Okay, I see. To clarify, do you want all orders from New York to have the 4% state tax applied, but no county/ city taxes alongside it? And this would apply to orders from anywhere in New York state?

Kind regards,

R_Reno
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

@Victor 

Yes, as an Economic Nexus State where Destination-based Sales tax is collected, we need only collect State Tax.

Yes, 4% NY State Tax and no County/Local Tax for all orders in NY.

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @R_Reno,

Thank you for clarifying that. I have just tested this on my own store and it seems to be working correctly—you can see here at checkout, only the 4% state-level tax rate as been applied:

20-04-ndeuu-0ib1p

I can check this is the backend too, in the Orders section. Both the county and municipal taxes were not charged:

20-04-rhp4s-tswmk

This is how I have the override set up in the backend:

20-04-8ko0t-4hjp8

Have you received real orders from New York-based customers since this override has been applied, and they've been charged too much tax? Or have you just been testing this? Also, if you'd be happy to share your store's URL here I would be happy to test this myself on the frontend of your store.

Kind regards,

R_Reno
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

@Victor 

Yes, we have overcharged several dozen customers before it was caught.  Please note the screenshots earlier in the thread - it is still charging all three levels.

We have 5 different Shopify Sites, but you are welcome to check it out on https://epure7cbd-com.myshopify.com/.

For now, I have NY set up as discussed.  I appreciate your help.

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @R_Reno,

Okay, thank you. I just went to your site, added a product to my cart and proceeded to checkout. When I proceeded there, the 4% tax rate is all that is being charged:

20-04-oiink-ls3pp

$2.36 is 4% of $59 so it doesn't seem like any other taxes other that the 4% New York state tax is being applied.

Have you tried this yourself? Are you seeing the other tax rates show?

Kind regards,

R_Reno
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

@Victor 

Just did.  Went to the site to place an order as a customer.  Also set up a draft order - both with the same result.  I'm not sure why we are getting different results.  

Live Cart:

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.39.44 AM.png

Draft Order:

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.35.52 AM.png

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @R_Reno,

Okay, thank you for sharing that. I'll need to take a closer look at this and to do that you will need to be authenticated on the account. As such, it's best that we continue this discussion over email. I will send an email to the email address tied to your forums profile—please look out for that and reply to me there.

Kind regards,

ResoluteCBD
Excursionist
18 0 6
I have actually figured this all out, thank you so much for your help!
Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @ResoluteCBD,

That's good to hear! How did you manage to get the taxes charging as desired?

Kind regards,

tax_pro
Explorer
39 0 36

Hi R_Reno,

I'm a state and local tax professional specializing in multi-state sales and use tax and found your comment - "Only 12 of which require us to collect State, County and Local. The other 34 States we only need collect the State tax" - to be very interesting.  Reason is because I'm only aware of a few states that offer a single rate for remote sellers to charge and exclude them from collecting their local sales tax rates.  As an example I do not know of any provision in New York's sales tax rules that allow a remote seller to only collect the state tax and exclude them from collecting their local taxes.  

With that said I'd be happy to review your information source to verify its accuracy if you'd like to email it to me at jerry.shopify@tsttllc.com. 

Regards,

R_Reno
Shopify Partner
14 0 2

Thanks @tax_pro .  My issue has been resolved and I had incorrect information as it relates to New York specifically.

SarahArt
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi @tax_pro ,

I had a question about sales tax. I have read that out of state sales tax has changed a lot since 2021 and that there is something called “use tax” for out of state delivery destinations so that they will be able to get their sales tax even if you don’t have nexus there. Can you explain this? Does this apply to small shops selling art and crystals that ship to all states? 
Thank you,

Sarah

tax_pro
Explorer
39 0 36
Hi Sarah,
I’ll be happy to answer your questions and explain further via phone call. My phone is (713) 858-0085
CA1117
Tourist
3 0 0

What if my business is legally based and run out of FL but my 3rd party fulfillment center is in CO? Where do I collect tax?

Thanks!

tax_pro
Explorer
39 0 36
When you say "my 3rd party fulfillment center is in CO" I'm assuming they are storing your inventory which creates physical nexus in CO and requires you to be registered and collecting CO sales tax which would only be charged on sales that are delivered to CO addresses. You are also required to be registered and collecting in FL under similar reasons as CO meaning I assume you have physical presence (nexus) in FL because the business is legally based and run out of FL.

Your, welcome to call me (713-858-0085) to discuss your situation in more detail.
CA1117
Tourist
3 0 0
Yes, the 3rd party fulfillment building is in CO, they hold, fulfill and
ship our products. Our business is registered in Florida where we collect
taxes. I wasn't sure if the contractor (fulfillment Co.) would be
considered a nexus.

Thanks for the clarification.
tax_pro
Explorer
39 0 36
Your welcome. Glad I could help.
Jvskebos1
Visitor
1 0 0

Sir. I’m in Texas and have sales tax enabled.  When I make sales like Florida or Tennessee just for example I’m not seeing sales tax included in amount.  I’m in Texas and collect .0825%. Why won’t it work?  What do I have to do to get all US to pay sales tax when they purchase? 

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @Jvskebos1,

Thank you for getting in touch. If you and your business are based solely in Texas, then you likely will only have to charge sales taxes in the state of Texas for now.

You generally do not need to register for sales tax in a state unless you have a tax nexus there, which can be based on physical or economic factors. Having a physical nexus in a state would typically be something such as you having a warehouse, an office, or employees in the state, while an economic nexus would be based on the number of sales and/ or the amount of revenue made to customers within the state over a certain period of time.

This means if you do not have any physical presence in states such as Florida or Tennessee, or meet the economic criteria for either state, then you likely will not need to register for VAT in those states and as such customers in those states will not need to pay sales taxes on their orders.

You can use our US taxes reference to learn more about thresholds for tax registration in each state. For example, in Florida and Tennessee, you would be required to register for sales taxes in each state if your revenue from sales to customers in either state was equal to 100,000 USD or greater over a twelve-month rolling period.

I hope this makes sense, but please let me know if you have more questions.

WDane
Not applicable
2 0 0

Thank you. This is super helpful. I'm also in Texas. So just to be clear, since I live in Texas and our office is in Texas then we have to charge sales tax for any customers shipping to texas, right? How much? .0825%? 

We have an employee that lives in Georgia and one that lives in Massachusetts. Do we have to charge sales tax there as well? 

Really appreciate your help. 

tax_pro
Explorer
39 0 36
Hi WDane,
Call me at 713-858-0085 and I can explain answers to your other questions