shopify payment

fardin100
Visitor
2 0 1

Is there any one in here from the UK that are self-employed? I cannot make an account on here and Shopify are not helpful at all. They keep requesting company registration document however in the UK for sole traders you don't have this. How do I accept payments without this? I have upload partnership registration document from HMRC but that's not enough. Eventually I would like to be a limited company but I cannot justify 1k plus accountant fees when we are just starting out. 

Thanks 

Replies 2 (2)

NexaStudio
Excursionist
65 1 0

I can provide information, but keep in mind that it's important to consult with a legal or financial professional for advice tailored to your specific situation.

In the UK, as a sole trader, you don't have a company registration document. Instead, you typically operate under your name or a business name (if registered).

For accepting payments on Shopify as a sole trader:

1. Business Bank Account: Ensure you have a business bank account in your business name or your name as a sole trader.

2. Business Information: In your Shopify settings, accurately fill in your business information. This includes your business name, address, and other relevant details.

3. Personal Identification: Be ready to provide personal identification documents, as platforms often require verification. This can include a government-issued ID and proof of address.

4. Tax Information: Provide your tax information, such as your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) as a sole trader.

5. VAT Registration (if applicable): If your business reaches the VAT threshold, you may need to register for VAT.

If Shopify is requesting documents you don't have, consider reaching out to their support again. Clearly explain your status as a sole trader, provide the necessary personal and business information, and inquire about alternative documentation.

If the issue persists, it may be helpful to consult with a business advisor or accountant to navigate the specific requirements and options available to sole traders in the UK. They can offer guidance on setting up your Shopify account and meeting any necessary criteria without the need for a company registration document.

Nexa Studio
fardin100
Visitor
2 0 1

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I have all in place and the UTR tax and will provide it again.