Shopify payments non US resident, LLC, EIN, ITIN, selling only online, virtual business address

MikeC123
Visitor
2 0 0

Dear Sirs,

from other boards, I understood I need physical presence as LLC to be able to use Shopify Payments US. I have LLC, EIN, ITIN, and virtual office address. Does virtual office address constitute physical presence needed to have Shopify Payments in the USA? I sell POD products from US suppliers.

Thank you

Replies 9 (9)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@MikeC123 

Virtual addresses are not eligible when applying to use Shopify Payments US. You will need a physical address in the United States to prove that your business is operating from the United States. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

ax3lG
Tourist
5 0 0

Hello Trevor,

I am in the same situation, In my case:

• My LLC is in the City of Doral, Florida
  • I have an ITIN
  • Virtual Office - PLEASE NOTE: Even though is a "virtual" office, it is pretty much real, it is a proper office space, with my own telephone, mailing address (not a P.O. box) and there is a proper "Lessor & Lessee" Rental Agreement signed. I could live abroad, but that is my REAL OFFICE in Florida, ( I even go there sometimes).

My point is, the service is commonly known as Virtual Office but in my case, I've chosen this particular service provider because it isn't a "farm-like fake companies" place, they are a well-established company. My question: Am I eligible, then, to use Shopify?

Thanks.

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 979

@ax3lG 

If it's a physical address, then you may be eligible. 

In order to be reviewed for Shopify Payments when you live outside of the United States, but your company operates in the United States then you will need the following: 

1. Government-issued photo ID (driver's license, passport, etc.- ID for your country of origin may be accepted)
  2. Business registration document (Registered with the UK government)
  3. Tracking showing you are shipping from the country you signed up from or Proof of address (not a forwarding address).
  4. A bank account set up with a physical bank located in the country you wish to use Shopify Payments for (online banks are not eligible)

If you have all of the required documents, then you can reach out to Shopify Support to begin the review process. However; having all documents does not guarantee that we'll be able to offer Shopify Payments for your store. You can do this by logging into your store through the help center, searching your question/issue, then selecting "continue" at the bottom of the page that displays the search results. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

ax3lG
Tourist
5 0 0

thanks

MikeC123
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, ax3lG,

can you share what service do you use for your Virtual (real) office? I use Post1 myself.

Mike

ax3lG
Tourist
5 0 0

Sure,

I discovered ta great service for Virtual Office

They have crafted a perfect service (no sooooo mass produced as many other companies/options)

Please note: they speak English even though the website is in Spanish, they seem to be taking over Latam.

check this out:

https://comienzaenusa.com/oficina-virtual/

Leo1603
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello! Can you please write an update about using Comienzausa service? Were you able to use it for Shopify US account? From what i've read on your earlier posts, i'm in the same situation as you describe.

I realize this is a couple of years later, but i found this thread now.

SalesTaxSupport
Shopify Expert
16 0 4

I am sure they are good at what they do, and we recommend nvinc.com because of their experience with e-commerce and sales tax requirements for non-residents. They recommend a strategy call to clarify your overall U.S. structure, tax responsibilities, banking, and lease agreements... before you form a U.S. entity. Some banks now do not allow single-member LLCs disregarded because they want a U.S. taxpayer. We would recommend you start on this page: https://nvinc.com/service/strategy-session-with-scott-letourneau/

SalesTaxSupport
Shopify Expert
16 0 4

Hi Mike, 

The key is not only an address for your US LLC that is an actual address (lease agreement, the utility bill is required). Here is a resource, https://www.nvinc.com/us-virtual-address/

Shopify payment is possible without an SSN. But you will need to prove that you have a U.S. presence. That means an office, not a virtual address. 

The approval process is a manual request with support.

You will need to provide documents for review via their support system.

Even if you have all of the required documents, it does not guarantee that Shopify will offer Shopify Payments for your store. This will be up to Shopify.

The approval process is on a case-by-case basis.  So there is no guarantee you will be approved. If not, they will provide you with a list of alternative options. 

Kind Regards, 

Scott Letourneau
NCP and Sales Tax System