Re: Product Variants after QB 19 migration

Successful transition to Shopify with product variants: any experiences?

UniformsDebbie
Visitor
1 0 0

Anyone have success with product variants when transitioning to shopify?  Or, will we have to do this manually?   When we transitioned, it brought everything over as individual products taking Title+attribute+size and making it the product name.   This is unfortunate if we have to figure this out manually.

Replies 3 (3)

TresaM
Excursionist
41 0 42

No success.  Same results.  Did you call 833-476-1302?  For what it's worth, I'm convinced there are flaws in the QB Data Migration program.    

Buy Quartz Direct From The Mine

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6350 582 1355

If there is not a native way in your current process to bring in items as variants you will want to create a post-process.

You will need to figure out what the business logic is that associates sets of items together to be the variants of a product, e.g. sku conventions, tags, names, etc.

Then export a small sample set of your product data to CSV,  small set so that when you reimport your only affecting a few product for learning and testing purposes until sure the product-CSV format is understood and it's correct after troubleshooting any  CSV import problems.

Then use Excel or Google sheets to re-organize the flat-products into product-variants, you may want to bring in a spreadsheet expert to help you build the business logic into spreadsheet formulas.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/import-export 

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/shopify-admin/productivity-tools/csv-files 

If flat-products being imported will be a reoccurring process considering build a custom automation* using a scriptable automation tool like usemechanic to.

Since it's so custom no such thing exists off the just general examples like: https://tasks.mechanic.dev/create-a-product-inventory-feed

If you need something like this built, or consulted on then contact me directly by mail for services.
Please always provide context and specificity, examples: the store url, theme name, post url(s) , software used, data samples,  or any further detail, etc.
Contact Info in signature.

*Note that shopify-flow cannot be used for this easily since it doesn't have actions to create products/product-variants. 

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

Victoria
Shopify Staff
2268 154 260

Hi, @UniformsDebbie.

Welcome to the Shopify Community!

I would like to advise that the products will transfer as individual line items instead of being set up as 1 product but multiple variants in that product. A current workaround would be exploring the app Hextom: Bulk Product Edit. 

Another option is manually exporting your products via a CSV file  once in Shopify and make the adjustments to turn them into variants. Then, import that CSV file back into Shopify. Your products/variants must include the QB ListID tags attached.

Victoria | Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog