Tax for US destination and Foreign origin

Aaroncl
1 0 0

Hi,

My dropshipping business is registered in Mexico and I'm willing to sell in US states with suppliers in America. What options are there for a strong tax configuration for my business? What recommendations are there for registering the origin of my store according to US states and paying affordable taxes?

0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1065 94 240

Hi @Aaroncl,

Thanks for reaching out. As a general rule, you will likely only need to pay sales taxes in states in which you have a tax nexus. If you have suppliers in the US, then it is possible that you are required to register for taxes in the states in which the suppliers are based, if indeed their presence there and your relationship with them deems you to have a tax nexus in the state in question. You will want to determine which states your suppliers are based in and then look into the tax registration requirements for those states. If you are deemed to have a nexus there, then you will likely need to charge taxes to customers based in those states and remit those taxes to the local tax authorities.

I would recommend doing your research into this topic and consulting with a tax professional if you are unsure of your tax obligations.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes