Why am I being charged tax on shipping in Rhode Island?

kwweaving
Visitor
2 0 0

My orders are suddenly charging tax on the shipping. I live in Rhode Island and there is no tax on shipping. I don't have it checked to charge in my setting; but I don't know how to stop it from charging. Is there something I'm missing?

Replies 3 (3)

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2327 454 397

Hey @kwweaving.

Thanks for reaching out.

You should be able to turn off charging tax on shipping by navigating to Settings > Taxes and duties, if you scroll down a bit - you should then be able to uncheck Charge tax on shipping rates. I took a screenshot from my test store to show you the section I am referring to:

09-08-70456-10330

Let me know if you have any additional questions, happy to help out.

Ollie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

kwweaving
Visitor
2 0 0

That's the strange thing, I don't have that checked in my settings, so it shouldn't be happening. In Rhode Island because I create original work, I don't charge tax on my product. So actually for me no tax is ever added on. 

Ollie
Shopify Staff
2327 454 397

Hey @kwweaving.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Since the option is not available but the taxes are still being charged on the product, I would suggest checking the product(s) through the Shopify Admin to ensure that Charging Taxes were not selected when the product was originally created. You can make changes to this option by navigating to the *Products section and selecting on a product. Once you are editing the product, you can scroll down to see the checkbox for automatically charging taxes on the individual product. I took a screenshot from my test store to show you where it is located:

10-05-41775-65469

Note: That if you product has variants, you can bulk edit all of the variants by selecting the check boxes next to each variant on the product page. Once they have been selected, you can open bulk editor to make changes to all variants of the product.

If this is not selected and you notice that the taxes are still being applied, please do reach out to our support by logging into your store using our Contact Us page. This will allow us to securely verify you as the store owner before discussing the applied tax charges to the orders in question with a Support Advisor.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Ollie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog