Tax Override is not working (India - GST issue)

satvicfoods
Tourist
8 1 0

Hi all,

On my store (satvic.in), we have a couple of collections namely, Immunity Boosters, Indian Spices, and Protein Bar. As per the Indian Government, for the products that fall under the first two collections, the applicable GST is 12% and 18% on the third collection.

I updated the tax override of these collections to 12% and 18% respectively. However, at the checkout, it is not taking the right tax from the customer. As you can see from the screenshots, the tax should be INR 47.88/- but it is taking some INR 60.

Screenshot 2021-09-12 at 8.13.57 PM.pngScreenshot 2021-09-12 at 8.14.12 PM.pngAny help?

Replies 5 (5)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @satvicfoods,

Thank you for getting in touch. Is the Cinnamon Doodah Masala product shown in your screenshot meant to be a product with an 18% rate of tax, or 12%? If it is an 18% product then the sales tax is adding correctly. We can check this by working backwards—a tax amount of ₹60.86 is being shown, which if we subtract from ₹399 gives us a figure of ₹338.14. If we then multiple this amount by 1.18, we're given the original figure of ₹399, which shows us that this price includes an 18% rate of sales tax.

Can you also please confirm to me if you want your prices to be tax inclusive, or if sales tax is meant to be added onto the listed price of the product?

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

BSPL_Team
Tourist
11 0 1

Hi Victor, 

I am facing a similar issue in my store.

So basic tax amounts are -

Federal - 9%

Maharashtra - 18% instead of 9% federal

It is calculated correctly for all products.

Now when I add an override for a collection "Drawing Books" to be 12% 

The value is still incorrect. Attached screenshot for reference.

Base price of product - 1584₹

Shipping - 100₹

Subtotal (base price + shipping) = 1684₹

Tases 12% - 12% of 1684₹ = 202.08

The screenshot says - 208.08 which is 18% of the subtotal 

Screenshot of the cartScreenshot of the cartTax setup of the store pt.1Tax setup of the store pt.1Tax setup of the store pt.2Tax setup of the store pt.2Override for the collection - Drawing bookOverride for the collection - Drawing book

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @BSPL_Team,

Thank you for getting in touch and for sharing those screenshots with me here. I've taken a look at what you've shared but unfortunately cannot discern why the rate of tax being charged in your screenshot is what it is. I would recommend you contact our support team directly so you can be authenticated on the store and this can be investigated in more detail. If necessary, this could then also be sent to our taxes team if further troubleshooting is required.

BSPL_Team
Tourist
11 0 1

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the reply.

I raised a support ticket with the support team yesterday itself. Waiting for an update now.

Thank you!

Regards,

Team BSPL.

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @BSPL_Team,

Great stuff. I hope you receive the help you need. Thanks again for reaching out.